Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 31, 2004, 4:41 PM   #1

Spotted this guy taking a snooze. Took a shot at 50 then he was kind of waking up at 40, took a picture just opening his eyes and then when he jumped up to take off.

Farther away than I would have liked but glad to have gotten the pictures.

In the first two shots he had a big stick across his face and I photoshopped it out. Some of you sharp eyed folks may notice it.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:10 PM   #2

I like the last shot
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:34 PM   #3

Beautiful! The first I've seen of a red fox. Must have partied too hard last night for you to be able to sneek up on him.
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:12 AM   #4

MoonGypsy wrote:
Quote:
Must have partied too hard last night for you to be able to sneek up on him.
Nah... zoomn's tracking skills are becoming legendary - it's almost all to zoomn's credit that he got this close to take the shots before the fox became alert to him!

Great shots zoomn, especially that last one where he was fully alert to you. In the first two you did a very good job PS'ing out the stick. I can see where it was but I had to look a little to really detect it.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:48 PM   #5

Thanks everybody, glad you like the pics. I was very excited when I spotted that fox let me tell you.

Geoffs what do you think of the sharpening on that last one? I think I oversharpened it but I like the effect, kind of makes it looks like a painting to me.

Glad you had a hard time spotting where the stick was. This was the first time I ever tried to remove anything with photoshop. I had to try cause the darn stick totally ruined the first two shots.

Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:34 PM   #6

To me it doesn't look like you were overly aggressive with the sharpening with that last shot. One sure sign of oversharpening using USM is when you start getting halos and I can't see any. Another thing that starts happening with USM used too aggressively is that noise in dark areas also starts to get sharpened and very visible. There are as many ways to get around all the bad effects of USM sharpening as there are people using PS!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:42 PM   #7

I love the second one with the half open eye. It appears indeed that you have actually snuck up on a fox. I'm sure he was a bit peeved that you have taken over his job of stealth guy in the woods. The last photo looks like he's saying something like, Good grief, man, are you using air boots or what.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:32 PM   #8

Glad you liked the pics normcar.

At the time it didn't seem like that much of a sneak. I was sleuthing along in stealth mode by the river looking for birds. Saw something out of the corner of my eye looked over and there he was at 50 yards where I took the first sleeping pic.

Starting slowly moving closer and at 40 yards he kind of peeked an eye open so I stopped and took more pictures. Got about 10 yards closer and up he popped and away he went. The whole thing probably took 5 minutes.

No real secret to it I'm sure you guys are just as stealthy when you need to be.

Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:39 PM   #9

CONGRATS on your pix! What a rush to get in so close. You are my hero!!!!

Do you use descenting products? To sneak up, I mean, not after, because as you know if you were that close, they don't smell very lovely.:lol:

I like the subtle look he is giving as he is just waking up...a soft look.

I like the sharpening on the last one, but I wondered what it would like to get in closer...to crop tighter around the front 2/3. This would take away the distracting matted down fur (we take them as they come, right?). I just thought I'd try it. Hope you don't mind.

What are you going to sneak up on next??? Grizzly bear cubs?? :lol: Just kidding. Keep up the great shots!
Attached Images

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 2:03 AM   #10

They are very pretty. are these native to where you are? Unfortunately the fox is not native here in Australia but some Idiot from UK introduced them (for hunting and blood sports)when the country was first settled along with rabbits and both these animals have decimated our native wildlife. Unfortunately Foxes cause so much damage that they are considered vermin here and we have an ongoing baiting and shooting programme to eradicate them. It seems a pity that the fox has to suffer because of some silly human being selfish all those years ago. Im sure in their own environment they would not cause as much destruction as they do here.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote