Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:27 PM   #1

Took this early in the day. This Heron sat there for at least 90 minutes without moving. Only his head turned once in a while. I think it was waiting for breakfast to hop by. Cheers.....thekman
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:39 PM   #2

Beautiful shot of a Great Blue. It's amazing with that long neck how they can scrunch it down

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:22 AM   #3

Thanks. Yes, they're an amazing bird. I can't believe the patience they show while waiting for, I suppose, their meal to pass by. thekman
Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:45 PM   #4

Very good exposure on this one. And good job of getting so close. Herons have radar for me, I can't get anywhere near them before the bolt.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:22 PM   #5

That's seems strange that they bolt on you Normcar. This fellow (or gal), sat there for 2 hours, and never made a move no matter what went on around him. Maybe he was frozen. There was ice on the lake in places. Lol. thekman
Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:01 AM   #6

Herons can be real individuals. Some are more used to people than others, especially golf course herons!

Norm, the herons you are trying to get close to must be real wild herons... :roll:
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:12 PM   #7

I am with you guys when it comes to getting to close to a really wild heron that is not accustomed to people. Damn near impossible I would say. Unless you have a blind and get there before the bird. I have put the sneak on a lot of animals and none is harder to get close to than a wild blue heron.

What do you think it is? It their sense of sound or sight? Which do they use to find their prey underwater sound or sight? Right before they strike at fish underwater they turn their head and stretch their neck out along the water like they are trying to get their ear down close to the water but they would have to see the fish to be so proficient at stabbing them with their beak.

Very nicephoto by the way. Really like the colors.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:53 PM   #8

These herons are definitely used to people. This is a very shallow lake, and it's used by rowing athletes for training. I actually took this photo at the Rowing Club. There's also a bird sanctuary across the lake, but haven't ventured over there yet. A future photo op no doubt. Cheers.......thekman