Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:47 PM   #1

Back in the early days... (early July, that is) I was in pursuit of some great blue herons that frequented a small marina down the road. I caught this guy atop a streetlamp. Because I was kind of obsessed with getting up close and personal with one of these wiley birds, I was very disappointed with this shot. I tried sharpening filters and screen layers, etc. but could not reveal the details I was looking for...

So today, I was digging through a few old shots and it struck me. (how dumb am I???) the reason I couldn't get the details out is because the shot was (essentially) a silhouette. A little but of contrast and I finally have a shot I'm pleased with. I'm glad I didn't delete it in frustration.

Comments?

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 1:35 AM   #2

Tom, I like the composition in this photograph and keeping it as a pure silhouette is definitely the way to go.

However, I think you've overapplied the contrast as the sky seems quite noisy. Perhaps just selecting the heron and the heron's roost and darkening only that would prevent the sky from getting damaged. It might also help in not getting that halo around the silhouette. It also seems like there's a bit of PF in that halo but maybe that's the result of too much contrast application?

I think that this would also look good as a pano crop. Cropping all the sky down to just above the prominent cloud bank might do the trick.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:02 AM   #3

Hi Geoff;

Ahh... the noise. I did mention this was in the early days - before I knew enough not to use the dreaded digital zoom. Guilty as charged.

I do agree with you on all counts. The halo is there and the sky is noisy. I'll go back to my original and see what I can do.

Thank you, your comments are very helpful.

Regards,

Old Nov 6, 2004, 2:18 PM   #4

OK... Here's the cropped, noise reduced halo-smudged version. (along with my promise never to use digital zoom again) I tried a half dozen ways of reducing the halo and the only thing that worked was to clone and smudge. (I even read a book!:-))

I'm open to suggestions as to how to do this.

Regards,

Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2004, 11:53 PM   #5

Tom, sorry for being so tardy with my reply. For some reason I am not getting email notifications from Steve's forums for threads that I am participating in. Very annoying!

Your second attempt on this image is much (!!) better. Even if you did use the smudge tool, giving the outline a softer appearance, it still looks better than the halo. Can I assume that the halo in the original photo was due to being too aggressive with the USM sharpening? If so, then there are other methods of sharpening which won't have the halo artificacts (at least not as bad). You can look at this article for sharpening starters: http://www.bythom.com/sharpening.htm

Looking good, Tom...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote