Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:00 AM   #1

Unfortunately, no tripod along last night . I wish I could permanently attach everything I need to my hip!!!
Attached Images

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:18 AM   #2

ohhh i like the silhouette!

lol, having a tripod attached to you hip at all times would be helpful for photography but inconvenient for others lol

nice shot! was this your old(er) rebel? it's got a bit of noise, if it's your older one, it's probably from the scan...

i dunno..i kinda like the noise

great shot!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 6:18 AM   #3

WisconsinGirl wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, no tripod along last night . I wish I could permanently attach everything I need to my hip!!!
Pretty steady shot, considering...

I like the angles of this shot. Good work.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:39 AM   #4

Well the noise is because I tried many different ISOs and 1600 gave the quickest shutter speed while being able to get any clarity at all. This was my digital rebel (but with an inexperienced user!) It is just taking me so long to learn about ISO, shutter speed and aperature. I'll get it eventually!!!

Ironically, this shot was on my way home from the grocery store and since I was parked along the highway, semis and big trucks kept blowing past me, shaking the car.The owlwas up a hill on the other side of the road. In all my years here, I've only seen hawks up there on that post, so it was a real treat. After about 30 tries, I attempted tocross the road, but he got spooked and took off.

I was just thrilled that I actually noticed him up there and got one that wasn't too blurred. I kept thinking how bizarre I must have looked, taking pictures of a post when it was moments before total darkness.

So to get a crisp shot (if I had the tripod) what settings would you have used? I keep a little set of 3 X 5 cards in my camera case with different scenarios so I have a starting point (fireworks settings, flowing water settings, etc). Silly, huh? :?

Thanks for any advice you can give!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:32 AM   #5

I think you did a very good job getting the shot.
I like the exposure (I assume you were going for a backlit moody shot like this.)

I think that carrying the note cards is a very good idea. Eventually you'll internalize the exposures in the different settings. But right now they help out. Nothing wrong with that.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:59 AM   #6

Thanks! That is my hope!! I need to learn to stop shooting and change up the settings to experiment. Thanks for your kind words!