Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 15, 2004, 5:52 PM   #1

We spent the weekend at a mountain cabin along the St. Vrain River in Colorado. Coyotes go through the yard every night but this one made visits both morning and evening. I enjoy watching the coyotes and bears but feel badly about the likely predation on a host of other critters here.

This photo was taken at about three or four meters, unfortunately through some foggy triple-pane glass windows. Gotta replace the glass, but it'll cost me about two grand, ouch!

Hummer
Attached Images

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:01 PM   #2

Nice to see you back and posting again, Hummer! I trust that the past season was a good one for your hummingbird activities?

It's so nice that you have such ready access to these great wild places. This is one nice capture of a rather healthy looking coyote, even if you did take the picture through 3 panes of glass! It also looks like he's been marking territory by the looks of that little yellow/brown stained area below his left rear paw.

Once again, good to hear from you...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:06 PM   #3

One potential prey of the coyote is the Northern Pocket Gopher which use the small stream side meadow by our house. The pocket gopher is seldom directly seen during the daytime. It typically feeds upon grasses and forbs by pulling the roots downward into its subterranean burrows. We often notice plants being jerked into the ground by these little guys.

Yesterday, I approached and fed this one by hand, then photographed him on macro with my FZ10. When moving along, the Northern Pocket Gopher is about 4-5 inches long. They spend most of their time underground but when out in the sunlight their tiny eyes are usually nearly closed. Note too, the tiny round ears, the sensitive fleshy nose and hands. Here, he is chomping on a bit of grass and dried aspen leaves.

Hope he found his hole before the coyote came!

Hummer
Attached Images

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 1:06 AM   #4

Beautiful looking animal, that coyote. It's a far cry from the run-down critters we get around here. I don't know much about coyotes but I know that this one looks great even through a huge pane of glass. Thanks for sharing and nice to hear from you again.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote