Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:53 AM   #11

Elements is a great way to start. I was lucky that it came with my camera, but I would have purchased it if it hadn't. Mess around with it for awhile, and then do some searching on "workflow photo" in google (or similar search critera) and you'll find more than you care to read.

If elements doesn't come soon enough, try out irfanview. It's a fairly good free picture editor.

Aren't refuges nice? I've got several (and Audubon sanctuaries as well) all within about an hour of my house.

I haven't used portable blinds yet, but I expect I'll pick one up and start next spring. There are some shots I didn't get this year because I couldn't get close enough.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:18 PM   #12

Hey,

Thanks for the info.

The refuge that I goto is a National refuge and they have several perminent blinds but they are on a sign up basis and they are all taken until Feb.

The portable blind would be good except you can't get out of your car except for the posted viewing platforms. Of course the birds are just as aware of those and stay at least 100 yards away. I am thinking of getting a Mead ETX90 telescope and hooking up my old Nikon CP4500. That should give my about 1200mm-1500mm of optical zoom. Coool. It's only a matter of money.

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:35 PM   #13

Check out the digiscoping section of this forum (down near the bottom of the list of forums.) That is not that far fetched a way to get a long telephoto.

All my local National Wildlife Refuges I go to don't have blinds, so I just have to be careful and quiet. Wish they did.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:45 PM   #14

I really like to overall on this one eric, the way the bird is leaning into the shell and theshell is doing it's own leaning, and the great distribution of darks on light with that thin DOF line following the shadow right up to the shell. I personally like this one even more than your previous photo of this bird.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote