Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:26 PM   #1

I was going through some shots for a group show this weekend and I thought I'd post another shot of this cute little guy. Like the others, I was laying flat on the sand to get a better viewing angle, and I was taking advantage of the slight overcast day to shoot at around 11am, which normally has harsher shadows than this.

I like that this is a bit more of an action shot, with it's left leg up. This shot is reduced by about 50%.

Question: What do you think of the crop? I almost feel like it's a bit too tight on the bottom, but maybe that is caused by the copyright notice being below its feet?

Eric

Camera: Canon 10D, 600mm f4. 1.4tc, 1/1000, f6.7, ISO200
PhotoShop: RAW convert with white balance tricks, contrast, brightness, reduce, sharpen, touch of cloning
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:16 AM   #2

hey eric!

great shot! sanderlings are such cool looking birds

umm, since you said this was a crop, then it won't be a huge problem...but it looks tilted (only because of the DOF sharpness going across the image at an angle)

lol, i could be wrong, but wouldn't that be horizontal if it were level?

anyway, nice shot, it is a very small bit tight on the bottom, but the action is great, the DOF is perfect, and it's nice and sharp

nice work!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:24 AM   #3

Eric,

I like your work. I like the ground level perspective it isn't what we normally see so it immediately catches the eye.

Crops are so subjective. I tend to go more for the panaramic view.

Maybe try the bird on the right third and then extend the sand out to the left for the other two thirds and lower the top a bit. Hey, it just an idea and there's always the undo crop button.

I like the shot the way it is too.

Oh, I think your other bird is a Willet in winter plummage.
I left you a reply on the other post.

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:29 AM   #4

Vito,
It might have been me which wasn't level (since I was laying on my side, "level" isn't as easy to realize.) But it could also have been the beach. This is how it was in the picture, with the DOF not being level left/right.

Interesting question. I remember the beach having some tilt to it, but this much? I'm not sure.

I'm sure that sanderlings fly down past you during migration, so at the right time of year you'd find them along the NJ coast line.

I like the action too. With the comment about Norm's Chickadees being different it reminded me of a conversation about how bird photography is turning into perfectly composed and exposed "birds on a stick". Technically and bird wise amazing.. but steril and uninteresting (unless you are into birds & such.) So when I saw this one it caught my eye as being different.

Hummm.. I wonder if this would have benefited from just a touch of fill flash. That would catch the eye and erase that little shadow. I'll have to try that next time.

Eric
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:35 AM   #5

smac,
Glad you liked it. I work hard at it. I haven't been posting as much here, not sure why. So I thought I'd correct that.

Lowering the top is an interesting idea. I don't have a lot of experience with serious film photography, maybe you do? I find that those from a film background really prefer the film aspect ration, while those that don't crop more loosly (not always for the better.) I find that I crop a bit too square some times.

I find the rule-of-thirds difficult with birds in poses like this as the head/eye, which is traditionally the point of interest, is so far from the right that to really do 1/3-2/3 framing the bird would be really small in the frame. I can try it (I think I've got the space in the original) but I think you might be dissatisfied. Interesting question, trying things is how I'we learn.

Eric
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:42 AM   #6

Heck yeah,

What do you have to loose?

And I try to never use the words serious and photography together. :-)

I am more of a "fun" and photography guy who hopes to get lucky once and awhile. :G

I teach Jr High Science and those little hormones with feet can wear you down if you are too serious about anything. So, I am all about fun.

Keep shooting the good stuff,
smac
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:51 AM   #7

Hey eric,

Here's a question for you. I shot this photo at a local wildlife refuge.
I used a Panasonic FZ20 at full optical zoom 12X. Settings were on Auto and sharpness was set at high along with contrast at high as well.

There is something about this photo that doesn't look real to me. The male
mallard looks like I digitally placed him in the picture. Is that because of the high contrast and sharpness settings?

I like the picture, I just can't figure out why it looks strange. :?:
Any ideas?

smac

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:32 AM   #8

Man, all of you guys are so dang quick to see the new post and respond to it! Geez, what do you guys do... just sit at the computer and check every few minutes? :roll: I always used to be one of the first to respond to Eric's great bird pictures!!!

This is a wonderful shot, Eric. The DOF is so freaking shallow and you managed to nail it so that all you can see of the sanderling + the shell is perfectly in focus. You caught the bird in a great pose and as smac mentioned, the perspective at ground level works very well. I'm glad you are posting again!

Smac... with regard to the picture you posted in-thread... the high contrast and sharpening setting in-camera caused the resulting processing on the image to make it look too "crisp" and bright. That's what causes an artificial look to things. I'd just go with default (or none) for the settings in the camera. Then, do your adjustments in an image editing program after downloading to your computer. Then you'll have the maximum control over where and how much the adjustments are made in the image. Also, for bird shots where you would normally want to maximize DOF (although that doesn't seem to be a problem in this shot), you might think about shooting on aperture priority or manual rather than using the auto mode of the FZ20.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:16 AM   #9

I agree with Geoffs on the description of your picture. The reason visually that it looks out of place is that the lighting is wrong on it. It doesn't seem to be lit the same way that the background is. I believe this is because of the contrast being set to high.

Since you never know how much sharpening and contrast you'll need when taking the picture, it is better to leave the camera at lower settings and then adjust them in your computer afterwards. When you do it for a bit, you get into a pattern (a workflow) of how to do it and it becomes easier. It becomes about the picture and not the process, which is what it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffs
Geez, what do you guys do... just sit at the computer and check every few minutes?"
Well, actually. Yes. I was working late so I checked the responces when I needed a mental break. I've been working too much and too late the last few days, so I needed a break about every 10 minutes. Luckly the program for work has been written and works, so now I'm just doing cleanup (and so I got 7 hours sleep last night instead of 5.)

I'm glad you liked the shot. It came out very well.

Eric
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:44 AM   #10

Geoffs and Eric s,

Thanks for the thoughts. I suspected as much. This was my second trip to the refuge in as many days and I was experimenting with the settings.
Plus I don't have any post editing software yet. I have PS Elements due to arrive today or tomorrow. So I will return the settings to normal and play with the photos in Elements. Oh boy, something new to learn.

I sure do enjoy seeing all of the creative work posted on this site. Lots of clever people and interesting ideas help keep things fresh.

Continue on all,
smac