Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:46 PM   #1

I took this one on a different beach from the sanderling. I never got very close to it as it always ran. It was noticably larger than a greater yellowlegs (which is clearly isn't.) And it was much larger than the few sanderlings which were on the beach with it.

This was taken very late in the migration, so it could be a late immature something, but I'm thinking that it is more likley an adult with changed plumage.

Camera: Canon 10D, 600mm f4 1.4TC 1/1500 f6.7 ISO200
Photoshop: raw with white blance tweeking, crop, lighten, just a touch of contrast, reduce, sharpen (too much?)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:09 AM   #2

Eric s

It looks like a Willet. In Winter Plummage. They stand about 15".
Did you notice if it had a flashy black and white wing pattern in filght?

Nice shot.

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:22 AM   #3

Willet would make sense for the size and beak. I've never seen them in the winter plumage before.

I never saw this one fly. I just kept walking/running away from me. This show (cropped & reduced) was about as close as I could get. Kinda frustrating, as I liked its more delicate plumage.

Eric
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:21 AM   #4

Eric, nice picture and it doesn't look overly sharpened to me! I think I'd agree with smac that this is probably a willet.

It must have been a very bright day! 1/1500 @ f/6.7? You had to manual focus that one didn't you?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:31 AM   #5

To me, something about that eye looks wrong. Sharpening enhances contrast in a very localized way. That eye ring looks too "white" to me. They have them, but that strong a white? Could just be me, 'cause I saw it on an overcast day (so my memory of it is darker/grayer.)

I kinda like the picture, but it really isn't about anything... just a bird standing there. If I wasn't looking for an ID, I wouldn't have posted it. Just not tha interesting a shot.

No manual focus needed. (All?) modern cameras do the AF at the largest aperture, which gives them the smallest DOF, and then stops down just before taking the picture. This means that they get the most accurate placement of the DOF/COC because the DOF enlarges when it stops down.

So the AF system worked when the camera was set at f5.6 (f4 + 1 stop for the TC) and then the picture was taken at f6.7.

Eric
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:04 AM   #6

Eric, I had considered that eye ring also when I was trying to confirm smac's id of this bird as a willet. The eye ring seemed a bit too prominent to me but after looking at the other possibilities I decided that willet was still the correct match. None of this is an exact science, especially with these shorebirds in winter and from a static image!

Thanks for that reminder of how these AF cameras do their AF. I'd known that and suffered a brain fart when I wrote my original message. Duh!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:18 AM   #7

Next time I'll do the sharpening in a layer and erase it over the eye-ring. But I only really noticed it later because I wasn't thinking of this as art, but an ID shot.

Eric