Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 21, 2004, 7:12 PM   #1

Below are 4of today'sattempts to freeze flight action.Of course neat image was applied because iso speeds were quite high in order to get to freeze chickadee levels (they're pretty quick). Sky was overcast which can be good and bad at the same time. Deficiency of ambient light makes one boost iso. In any event...

One

Two

Three (which end is up?)

Four

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:12 PM   #2

Wow! I'm just amazed by the last one, well, by all of them. Great captures!!:-)
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:18 PM   #3

I like 2 and 4 best. 1 would be great if the sky had more detail or were simply darker like the other shots, but you didn't have a lot of choice.

Question: How high was your ISO? Excellent shots.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:00 PM   #4

Appreciate the comments, thanks.

Quote:
How high was your ISO?
First photo: iso 1000, F4, 270mm, shutter 1600

Second: iso 800, F7, 135mm, shutter 3200

Third: same as second except shutter 1600

Fourth: same as third

Quote:
but you didn't have a lot of choice.
Exactly, some things just can't be manipulated :-)
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:01 PM   #5

How patient does someone have to be in order to capture those amazing shots???, specially the last one....awesome shot, very difficult to get.

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:05 PM   #6

Appreciate the comment FZ10.

Quote:
How patient does someone have to be in order to capture
I don't have much patience but I do find that the more I try and watch these birds in flight the more capable I am finding it to predict actions and the more I work out techniques that seem to be more successful than others...such as zone focus. They are usually just too quick for any kind of AF. And predicting a common landing and flying point.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:05 PM   #7

Hey Normcar,

I have been quietly checking out your other shots and posts. I am quite a fan. I think that your Chickadee pictures are really amazing as are your other wildlife pictures. My area of interest is also wildlife. I am very interested in the Panasonic DMW-LTZ10 Tele lens. I know that you are a real proponent of "you get what you pay for". So I have a few questions. Are you still using your FZ10 with the Tele lens? And are you still happy with it? I have an new FZ20 and have been very impressed with what I have seen so far. I would like to get some kind of telephoto converter lens so, I have been actively researching teleconverter lenses. I tried to go to the link you posted with comparison pictures when you got your DMW-LTZ10 but the link was down. I think the site was under construction. Are those camparsion shots still availible? And finally, do you know if the Panasonic lens is availible anyway else besides Panasonic? I have done several searches but without results. If you have any new thoughts on the Pana lens I would love to hear them. I look forward to you next pictures.

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:40 PM   #8

Thanks smac, glad you like some of my stuff. I don't have that site any longer as I got rid of all of my FZ10 comparison pages when I traded the camera along with lens for my Canon200 F1.8. If you wish to contact the party I traded to see if the lens is still available, here are the details:

[align=left]CLASSIC CAMERA EXCH (Canada)[/align]
[align=left]12518-118 Ave. Edm.T5L 2K6 [/align]
[align=left]Tel/Fax (780) [/align]

[align=left][/b]Tel: 780-452-4759 [/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]That lens did a great job and it's color saturation is wonderful. Had it not been for the fact that it fits only on to the Panasonic I'd probably have kept it. Of course photos are a bit softer but that goes without saying, more glass, less sharp I'd say. No way around that. [/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]The smaller sensor simply couldn't compete with the DSLR so I knew that I'd never really be happy with anything other than a DSLR result. My very best FZ10 shots began to show their limits as I delved further into Canon "L" series and DSLR, so I traded it (I still miss it, but not much). [/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]The lens, if you can pick it up second hand, would be an asset to you and your FZ20 I believe. As for how other add-ons would perform, I couldn't really say, never had one except the one that goes with the G5 and that's pure trash compared to the Lumix model. Happy hunting.
[/align]
Old Nov 26, 2004, 5:37 PM   #9

Thanks,

I completely understand what you mean about the smaller sensor not being able to compete with DSLR. There's nonthing like being able to shoot at 800 or 1600 iso and not have to worry about clutter in the pictre. I was originally going to get a Nikon D70. But when I compared the cost to reality ratio. I decided I could learn a lot and be reasonably happy with the panasonic. which I am. I feel much the same way you did. I think I will pay the extra money and get a high quality lense. Heck I figure I'm still well below the cost of the DSLR set up.
In time I am sure I will move up to the DSLR. Until then I will just push myself to do the best I can. As long as I am still having fun and the people I show the pictures to still oooh, and aaaah once and a while it's all good, right?
Thanks again for the input and the fine photos.

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote