Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:28 PM   #1

Went for something a little different this time. I believe this is when a Northern Harrier landed on another post 4 or 5 down from the one the owl was on. Now that got its attention. Stuck its head way up and looked at it. The hawk stayed for about... 30 seconds and then left. A few days before the hawk dive bombed the owl (it didn't care.) But not this time. I think the hawk sees it as competition for food, which it is.

I'm not sure it works as well in a picture, but it was kinda funny to see its head stick up like a hand puppet's. The slight darker smudge like thing on the front breast is a bit of OOF foliage. The best angle doesn't always give you the best view. Such is life.

The entire bird is about 3/4 of the frame top to bottom (not left to right) and after croping I reduced some. This was about... 30-35 feet away or so shot out the sunroof using a sandbag.

Camera: 10D, 600mm f4, 1/750 f5.6 ISO200 RAW
PhotoShop: RAW convert with exposure, more exposure and contrast via curves, selective sharpening, crop & reduce.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:34 PM   #2

I think that this is a stunning shot, Eric! I really don't mind the smudge on its breast from the OOF foliage as all the attention is really brought to bear on the owl's head and face and very little further below.

It would be neat to be able to capture a shot of the hawk and owl interacting with each other but it seems you'd have to be there continually to catch that situation and be ready for when it happened.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:36 PM   #3

Eric,
Being a science teacher I am always in awe of nature. That is one gorgeous bird. I don't think I have ever seen a Snow Owl that close or from that angle.
It kind of reminds of something from Star Wars. Very cool. Very!

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:18 AM   #4

I was shooting out the car window when I took this picture. When I tried to get a picture of the harrier, I had to move myself to the right and angle the lens to the left. But by doing that the lens focus ring became squished against the window... which meant it couldn't turn. This seemed to prevent the AF from working. So while I had the harrier in view, I couldn't get a focused shot. I was not happy.

The guy who was there last week (same one I shot with) didn't get a shot of the harrier attacking. He was focused on the owl and the harrier swooped down... all he saw was the owl squish its head down about 1/2 an inch. It was his wife, sitting next to him in the car, who called out the harrier attack. He never even saw it in the camera.

Now that would have been a winner of an action shot.

I'm glad you two like the picture. It's growing on me the more I look at it.

Eric
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:48 PM   #5

Oh Man, I would love to get a good shot of a Harrier.
We have tons of them around here but there are very wary of humans.

I have only one shot of a Harrier that's in flight and slightly out or focus.

Here it is.

smac

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 5:20 PM   #6

You're going to hate me for this. I'll post one of my good harrier shots later tonight (maybe, I'm going to watch a movie.) There is a national wildlife refuge near me that usually has 1 in residence... this year it had 3! So I've gotten some fairly good shots of them. I've also got my share of "artistic blurs" as a friend calls them.

Flight shots require luck (enough and good light) and skill. Don't expect to get really good ones until you've practiced. Even going to the beach and shooting gulls is good practice.

Eric
Old Nov 24, 2004, 5:36 PM   #7

hey eric! stunning shot

for one major reason

He's Smiling!!

also, he's kinda peeking over his shoulder at you!

i was thinking about crop possibilities...and maybe cropping into a landscape, so it crops the OOF branch out...

i would like to see this one as a print!

oh yeah, a very minor nit (as they say on NPN )...there's the smallest bit of noise...neat image would take right out

GREAT shot eric! the pose is amazing!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:21 PM   #8

Actually, this is processed with neatimage (oops, did I skip that in the comments?) I found that if I did full strength neatimage it removed detail from the bird. So I had to back off.

And this is a crop, the entire bird is about 3/4 of the image in height (obviously not width!) So I could crop it more... I just liked the expression, the eye, and how his head was sticking up. Not your traditional shot (which the previous owl was.)

I hadn't noticed, but you're right. It does look like it's smiling.

I did think about putting a blue sky behind it, 'cause the white-on-white isn't nearly as good as a true blue would give. I'm also thinking about playing with the background to darken it. At least that way the owl would stand out.

Eric
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:22 PM   #9

Thank you eric,

I would love to see some good Harrier shots. Bring em on!

I am going to the refuge this weekend and I will practice. Our area here in No. Calif. has hundreds and hundreds of Harriers, Red Tails and American Kestrels, There are even a decent number of Bald and Golden Eagles. I should be able to improve my skills with a little practice. Thanks for the encouragement.

smac
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:29 AM   #10

Love the close up of the owl a real stunner , he looks so proud also.
He even looks at you from his eye's corner LOL.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote