Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:19 PM   #1

Since there seemed to be some interest in the Sandhill Cranes flying I thought I would post a shot to show how many were just milling around. I counted about 50 on this particular day.
smac

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:24 PM   #2

Another small group lifting off.

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:32 PM   #3

Well done, sir. You seem to be getting reasonably close to your subjects here. Looks like you have found a good place to capture natrure shots. I'm guessing it must be pretty close to your home.

I have a question regarding the haze in the hills in the background... Is this due to fog, or distance or pollution. I did a recent series in a natural park across the river from Detroit and was shocked to see how much haze the industry caused in my shots.

Good work,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:04 AM   #4

Thanks Tom,

That picture was taken about 10:30am. This part of the refuge complex is about 15minutes from my home. The other location is about 40 minutes away.
This part of the Sacramento Valley is covered with rice fields. The rice has all been harvested and now is the time for the farmers to burn the rice stubble (it helps control disease) in preparation for next years planting. Restrictions on how much burning can take place have been imposed and so there are only a certain number of days that the burns can take place. This is part of the haze you see. The other reason for the haze is the Valley is also subject to temperature inversions which bottle up the pollution and smoke. Without the north wind the haze can sit for several days. The day after I took this pictures the north wind came up and cleared out all of the haze. You can see the difference in some of the other pictures I took with the haze gone. Many of the waterfowl photos were taken the day after the haze was scoured out of the valley by the wind.
Thanks for your interest and for your constructive comments,

All the best,
smac