Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:55 AM   #11

Those settings are odd, but they do an interesting thing. check out this page, you'll find it very educational:
http://forums.naturephotographers.ne...1&m=2540025092

I know I did. Follow the link in that to:
http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...ancement.shtml

As that is the article being dicussed.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:16 AM   #12

Eric. You used ISO200, could have bumped it much higher on 20D. Also I am assuming you using a nice tripod with wimberely head for your 600mm.

From what I am reading on naturescapes.net some people are not happy with 20D as far as flight shots are concerned. It seems it is better than 10D but no comparison with 1DMk2.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:39 PM   #13

I agree that I should have tried ISO400. It was not intentional. I was able to use ISO200 earler in the day and it worked. I was just too darn excited to see the owls and didn't think about it. I wish ISO was displayed in the view finder (like Michael Reichmann @ Luminous-landscape keeps asking for.) Then I would probably have noticed and changed it.

Yes, I have a Wimberley and a 1348 tripod. Wonderful combination.

I've read the thread you speak of. I have two things to say, which I almost posted there.

The 20D should not compete with the 1D MkII. It wasn't designed to. Anyone who wants it too is trying to get more for less (i.e. is living in a fantasy land.) A $1,500 camera should not be expected to compete with a $4,200 camera. I actually think some there aren't saying this, but some are.

From only one day with the 20D but a year with the 10D, the 20D is worse than the 10D for flight shots. Much worse. It was quiet clear from the view finder that it couldn't track the owl. It would bounce in and out of focus a lot;like it was shifting focus to the background... The 10D didn't do that. It had trouble keeping up of the subject movement (focus would be a little off), where as the 20D seems to shift focus to other things. The weather has been really overcast so I haven't been able to go test with gulls... but I believe Canon really, really blew it on this one. I need an easy situation where I can change from center AF point to all and see how it works.

The popular guess at the moment is that the 20D's AF sensors are smaller than the 10D's and therefor it looses the subject more. (The 10D's sensors were larger than they were marked in the view finder.) I don't know if this is true, but I hope to test it more when the sun eventually comes out. Why does the sun always hide when I go on vacation?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote