Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:06 AM   #1

I tried all last winter to see these, but never did. I got to see 3 on my first try this year. Great birds; like the Great Horned Owl I really like the coloration on their backs. Unfortunate the sun rarely came out, so my settings were not condusive to flight shots. I wish I had been able to use a larger fstop so I'd have more DOF, but on an overcast day you can't have everything. I was just over joyed to see any let alone get a decent flight shot.

My new 20D had a hell of a time trying to track them in flight... I have gotta believe it's the low light/low contrast and not the camera... it just couldn't track them. It did so badly I really wondered what everyone seem to rave about. I'm going to try to find some gulls in flight to test it out again... I really don't want it to be the camera.

Camera: 20D 600mm, f4, 1/160 ISO200 tripod
PhotoShop: contrast, sharpen, crop, reduce
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:24 AM   #2

Very unique shot, eric. The prominenteye on this specimin and the streaming lines on the owl's side really add a touch of spice and motionto the photograph, only added to by the wing blur.Background bokeh blends nicely with the overall shot too. Not too shabby!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:57 AM   #3

Nice goin' Eric.

I think the Owl, the background, the wing blur all work together to produce a really interesting shot.

We have all kinds of owls out here, that I never see during the day. Maybe I will get lucky some day too.

Good work your patience paid off big.

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:58 AM   #4

hey eric

quite nice! i have a very large amount of respect for people that can take bird photos (especially small, songbird type birds), and even more for the bird photographers that can get them in flight!

the shot could be better technically, but i kinda like the blur on the wings, and i think you could sharpen up the eye a bit more with USM (if used properly...i've found i could print darn good looking prints with my 4mp G2 and a normal deskjet printer!)

one thing to try..that i think will work nicely..that i've found works nicely to "prepareto sharpen" is USM at these settings

Amount - 20

Radius - 50 (lol, just try it )

Tolerance - 0

this technique was on naturephotographers.net, and was named "Local Contrast Adjustment", and...it's a miracle worker! i've used it with macro, landscape, still life...all kinds of stuff...it's great! so, take your original, use that, then sharpen for the eye, then mask everything but the eye and possibly the edges of his face....

well congratulations on seeing and capturing this beautiful bird

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 5:09 AM   #5

Vito, whats USM??????????

Amount - 20

Radius - 50 (lol, just try it )

Tolerance - 0 Do you use these settings and then save then sharpen as usual?????????????

By the way, nice shot eric.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:48 AM   #6

USM stands for UnSharpen Mask, its a sharpening technique built into the full version of PhotoShop (not elements.) It's much more flexable because you have control over three different settings which do a great job of altering how it works.

Vito,
You know, I didn't do any selective sharpening. I agree, the slightly motion blured eye always bugged me but for whatever reason I didn't think to sharpen just it. I do it on some shots, but not this one... don't know why.

I just messed with sharpening the eye some more. I'm finding that all it's really doing is brightening the yellow in the eye. Basically it's just removing some of the dullness (sharpening is just contrast adjustment after all.) What I want it to do is more sharply define the black center part.

I saw that local contrast discussion on NPN as well, but I didn't think to use it here. I really need to use things often to reenforce the lesson of reading it.

So, what do people think of this version:
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:42 PM   #7

not bad not bad

alady, like eric said, it's a sharpening filter in photoshop...i didn't know it wasn't in elements...that's a real shame!

basically, i just throw this in before i use USM to sharpen...like, i'll open the picture, use curves (adjustment layer..)on the whole picture, duplicate the background layer three times, deleting the locked one, then adding the USM filter (at the settings i said above) to two of the layers, than sharpening the top one like normal for the details...then i can mask that layer to take out the sharpening on the parts i don't want sharpened...

nice work eric!

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:20 PM   #8

Adobe was very strategic in what they put in and didn't. And slowly over time they are adding in a few things. This will probably shock you, but Layers aren't there either. I'm sure you're going "well, then... how do you edit photos?" It's a good way to learn your way around, but after about 6 months or so (at least for me) I found that I wanted to step up to layers before I really learned any bad habits.

Glad you like the new one. I'm hoping to get back up there this week when the sun is actually out! Then maybe I'll be able to get an even better flight shot. So far the weather doesn't look good for a few days at least. I'm hoping.

Eric
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:55 PM   #9

I love it, Eric!! I can really relate to how much time and patience goes into a shot like that!!
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:03 AM   #10

ahhhh so it is unsharp mask, I use it on all my bird shots. But different setytings to that.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote