Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:54 PM   #1

OK smac & normcar, I am finally getting somewhere. I used the DRebel and the Meade ETX-90 for this one. The sun was working for me with this one but when I triedfor some more either the bird or the sunwouldn't cooperate. I had some better poses but with shadows down the neck. The ETX-90 has great power but really, really, really hard to focus without a very good tripod. I spent about 350 bucks for a Bogen Manfrotto before I was able to get a shot this good. I do have a picture taken at the same time as this one only I used the 18-55 Canon lens that came with the camera. I tried to get it in here with this one so you could compare the magnification but it didn't work. Maybe I can get it in here later if someone can tell me how. Anyhow I'm open for any kind of comments, good or bad. I don't have but another year or two of working and am looking forward to taking some better pictures when I have the time to go where the birds are. My goodness you guys are good. I really love looking at your stuff. Oh I almost forgot. The Heron is at Chehaw Park in Albany, Ga. A very nice little park but not a very good variety of birds.
Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:40 PM   #2

Ok Houston I am really interested in your ETX-90. I have been mulling over the idea of getting something like that. I can't afford a $1700 Swarovski so I am looking for alternatives. How far away from the Heron were you? I live near a National Wildlife Refuge and there are literally tens of thousands of birds there this time of year. But they are a little wary of the visitors so, they stay about 50-100 yds. away from the road. The Mead seemed like it might be a good solution.

Like every thing else I get involved with all I lack is money and time.:G

Happy Holidays,
smac
P.S. One friendly little tip is that you might size down your photos to something around 800x600. It's easier on the dialup folks. Nice Heron.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:55 AM   #3

Hi smac. Sorry about the size. I know better now after seeing it done and I'm dialup also.

On how far I was from the bird. Just guessing I would say around 100 ft and thats with the camera coupled directly to the barrel of the scope. You can get even more power by using an eyepiece on the scope and couple the camera to it. Doing it this way is pretty time consuming though. Takes a while to set up and then you have to wait for one to land in the general area. Then you have to manually focus. Takes a lot of patience.

:? What is "IMO"

Thanks a bunch for the help and Happy Holidays to you too.

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:07 PM   #4

Sorry, It's short cut jargon for "In My Opinion", I don't use it very often for this very reason. Thanks for the info on the ETX-90. What I am hearing is the if you connect your camera directly to the scope it's not as powerful but easier to use? Thanks now I have to find a store that has them and check one out.

All the Best, smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 5:14 PM   #5

Houston, below is your photo with a slight resizing and a very slight sharpening with USM in Paint Shop Pro. Just a teeny bit of touchup can sometimes make the difference. Your photo sharpened very nicely IMHO (that means IMO with a humble attached).

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 5:42 PM   #6

Nice shot Houston and Norcar's sharpening made it even better. I got a very similar shot over the weekend. First time a GBH let me come so close. I will post it after I process it. Right now I am trying to fix my crashed HD.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote