Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:42 PM   #11

And what a nice avatar it is. I have a cat myself.

aladyforty,
Images processed with NeatImage take sharpening very well. You should definitely give it a try. NeatImage can reduce sharpness, so you will almost always want to put it back with USM.

Houston,
This is a wonderful site. I looked at many before choosing this one as my home. Smart people, with little attitude. Just the combination I like.

If you're asking about the file name choice the "_8x11" is for the print size. While I don't have a printer which can print larger than 11-inches wide, I will be getting a larger one soon. So this tells me what size I edited the image for. Making good prints is an art, one that I have only started to understand. I would not take a file edited to be printed at 8x11 and upsample it and print it larger. It probably wouldn't look as good.

The ".pds" is the file format that PhotoShop uses. I believe it has some compression (produces bigger files than JPG, though) but no data is lost in that compression. JPGs are a "lossy" compression format. Some data is destroyed in the making of the file. Do enough "load-edit-save-load-..." cycles and you'll start to see the quality drop in the picture. I save pictures edited for the web in jpg format (because that is their destination format), but I save intermediate pictures in pds format. It isn't a "standard" format like tiff or jpg (which any software can load), but I don't expect to stop using photoshop any time soon.

Did that answer your question?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:26 PM   #12

Eric has already contributed a load of great information here so there's nothing at the moment that I might add, but one small correction...

The '.pds' file extension for Photoshop files that Eric mentioned should really be '.psd'. Very minor point and probably just a typo on Eric's part.

Question for Eric: I tend to save all my intermediates or archived files as tiff files rather than .psd. You don't lose anything by doing it, so far as I know, except that perhaps PS is a bit more efficient (ie: faster) at loading/saving files in its native format. The reason I save as tiff files is because I can then load these same files into other programs if I desire to (for example, QImage takes them directly, even images with layers). Is there something else about .psd files I should know that would make me want to switch to using it as my intermediate file format?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:34 PM   #13

h/o...i save my full size 'keepers' as PSDs...mainly to keep the layers...because then i can have a b/w layer, a color layer, a sharpened layer, and many other random layers, instead of 5 different images...

does TIFF save layers? what about adjustment layers? if it can...i'm ditching PSDs for archiving!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:41 PM   #14

Yes, Vito, tiff format files saved by PS contains all the layers, including adjustment layers. I've been using them that way for ages...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:45 PM   #15

eric s wrote:
Quote:

The ".pds" is the file format that PhotoShop uses. I believe it has some compression (produces bigger files than JPG, though) but no data is lost in that compression. JPGs are a "lossy" compression format. Some data is destroyed in the making of the file. Do enough "load-edit-save-load-..." cycles and you'll start to see the quality drop in the picture. I save pictures edited for the web in jpg format (because that is their destination format), but I save intermediate pictures in pds format. It isn't a "standard" format like tiff or jpg (which any software can load), but I don't expect to stop using photoshop any time soon.

Did that answer your question?

Eric
Eric, it couldn't have been answered any better. I guess I new what the 8x11 was but I just didn't know what the pds format was. As I said in the last post, I am saving all of my pics, the worthy ones, in the original format and only working on the ones that I want to post so thatin the future if I want to print one of them I can then process the original that has not been resized.
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:15 PM   #16

eric s wrote:
Quote:
And what a nice avatar it is. I have a cat myself.

aladyforty,
Images processed with NeatImage take sharpening very well. You should definitely give it a try. NeatImage can reduce sharpness, so you will almost always want to put it back with USM.

Eric

Eric, what about noiseworks, I dont really like neat image as much, it's slow and with noiseworks it shapens as well.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:40 PM   #17

OK, heres a little test, I just raced outside and snapped this little bird for this.

this is the original, just resized for posting

Ok, this one was done in the usual order, curves, contrast, saturation, USM, crop then noiseworks

and this one I tried as Eric said, noiseworks first then the same order as the one above, same settings on all items. Can you pick the difference?

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote