Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:42 PM   #1

:? I think I've read somewhere in this forum that you are supposed to resize down before using usm or other kinds of post processing. But what about cropping. Would it be:

1.Resize 2.Crop 3. Post process

or

1. Crop 2. Resize 3. Post process
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:07 PM   #2

If I was using neat image I would first do that processing prior to resizing or cropping because I'd have more of an area for the rough noise analyser.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:39 PM   #3

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
If I was using neat image I would first do that processing prior to resizing or cropping because I'd have more of an area for the rough noise analyser.
Thanks Normcar but all I have used so far is PS Elements 2. Don't really know what neat image is yet. I'm pretty new to this.

I read your answer to someone a few minutes ago. That is great information to me also. I have printed it out for reference. Today I was in my little hunting blind shooting again and toward the end of my session I took my camera and lens off of the tripod and just used it as a post to steady my hand and that worked out good. As long as I can stay at ss400 or above that works nicely. So I was already trying one or two of the things you mentioned that you do. I had sunshine off and on today but I've got lots of trees in my backyard so its in and out of the shade. Most all of the ones taken today are at the feeders. I don't really like the pictures that way but it was a lot easier to get good shots. I'm working on them now.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:12 PM   #4

1. do everything else.
2. crop
2.5 save copy for the future.
3. reduce
4. sharpen

Depending on how you reduce, it can also sharpen some. This is both inherent in the process (softness is masked because of the reduction and the human brain fills in details of things it knows) and in the process you choose (there are reduction algorithms which add extra sharping by how they downsample and there are some which do it a different way and don't add extra sharpening.)

And you save the copy before you sharpen and reduce because maybe you'll want to print it out later. This might involve enlarging. If you have already reduced the picture you'll run into problems when enlarging. It is usually easy to do the sharpening again (and heck, you might get better at it later.) And the amount of sharpening you want is different if its for print (and what size print) than if you post to the web.

And if you get a image that you really like, then just save a copy of that too. I often have foo.jpg (for the web) foo_8x11.pds (for a print.) Disk is cheap.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:53 AM   #5

maybe Im doing it wrong but I always do it in this order.crop, curves, contrast, saturation etc sharpen and only after all this if it needs neat image I do it last. Works for me, but I may be wrong.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:55 AM   #6

Oh and I rarely resize anything worth printing out except for the internet (I have many CDs with photos saved on them:-)) and then these are copies that get deleted after I post.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:22 PM   #7

There are people who say you should crop early on. In reality... I do it both ways. I've got 1G of RAM, so memory isn't an issue (but I bet croping early would help someone with less memory.)

Some suggest, and they are probably right, that if you do all the modifications and save it before croping then you can always experiment with different crops without having to redo as much work. I often play with crops to see if there is something worthy in the photo. Then I go from there.

The big thing is to resize before you sharpen but after everything else.

If you manipulate the image in any way before neat image, then you can't use pre-built noise profiles. For me, often (50% of the time?) there is no place in the image that I can train it so I need to use a pre-built profile. Therefor I have use neatimage as the first thing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:22 PM   #8

You guys are just wonderful. And Iwant you to know this. I am just a backwoods boy from way, way out in the country in South Georgia.I didn't know there was so much I didn't know. Words like algorithms!!!Humph.

I've got 1.8 GH with 512 mb RAM so right now I'm fine with memory. But down the road I plan to start saving to disk also. Oh, and what do you mean by foo_8x11.pds. I've been saving all of my pics in jpg and printing them sometimes.

This is what I've been doing:Saving the ones I want to post in the following formats. That way I know which is which and I still know which is the original if I want to print it.

Wren, Carolina 122504 001.jpg original

Wren, Carolina 122504 001 rsd.jpg resized only

Wren, Carolina 122504 001 rsd&lev&usm.jpg resized/ levels/ unsharp mask

From what I'm gathering I guess I'm OK with 1. Crop, 2. resize, 3. sharpen w/levels and usm. Then I'll have 4 copies of each pic saved.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:29 PM   #9

eric s wrote:
Quote:
There are people who say you should crop early on. In reality... I do it both ways. I've got 1G of RAM, so memory isn't an issue (but I bet croping early would help someone with less memory.)

Some suggest, and they are probably right, that if you do all the modifications and save it before croping then you can always experiment with different crops without having to redo as much work. I often play with crops to see if there is something worthy in the photo. Then I go from there.

The big thing is to resize before you sharpen but after everything else.

If you manipulate the image in any way before neat image, then you can't use pre-built noise profiles. For me, often (50% of the time?) there is no place in the image that I can train it so I need to use a pre-built profile. Therefor I have use neatimage as the first thing.

Eric
Eric, I always thought that you could not sharpen very well over neat imaged photos, I shall have to give your way a g:-)o to see what the difference is

Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:47 PM   #10

Lot's of good responses here....thanks for info.

My only point, which someone else already made, is that if you crop before you enhance it takes less memory which, on my current comp, doesn't hurt.

I read somewhere that you want to enhance before you resize for the web because when you resize for the web (as opposed to for printer output) you have to "resample" and you want to resample based on your final image after enhancements. That way, presumably, the resampling results would be based on your final product rather than on some itteration that's already been substantially changed.

Can you tell I really just wanted to see if my avatar was working?
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote