Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:21 PM   #1

Kingfisher from about 40 yards at 500mm handheld. Cropped.

Not sure on the id for this guy. He is about 4" tall.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:30 PM   #2

Not too shabby from 40 yards and handheld! I miss that lens, you made a good choice. In good light that lens cannot be beaten.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:33 PM   #3

Hi zoomn. It looks like you are liking that Bigma and it seems that your ability to handhold it is pretty good! You're also getting sunlight allowing you to get the higher shutter speeds I can't in the dark and grey skies I've been having here in western Oregon...

I always love seeing pictures of kingfishers - your picture is no different. It also looks like you flushed those Canada Geese pretty well I find that I can get to about 30-40 feet from the geese and then the ones that are pulling guard duty alert the rest and they start moving off.

That last one is a Song Sparrow, similar to the pictures of them that I posted on my thread. There's lots of regional variation in Song Sparrow plumages and colors so sometimes it can be a bit confusing as to whether you've really got a song sparrow or not. This one has some real nice colors.

I'm glad you moved up from your FZ!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:46 PM   #4

Thanks Normcar and Geoffs.

Thanks Normcar for suggesting the Sigma I am really having fun with it.

I will be getting my tripod and head this week so can start getting some supported photos and really see what the lens will do, come on sunshine.

Geoffs not as glad as I am with the move to the dslr. Can really notice the difference in the retention of detail in the crops. Also the resolution uniform through the shot unlike the fz which had some fuzzy areas in less than ideal light.

Geoffs I know what you mean about the clouds. Seems like we are not getting much sun ever since getting the new camera 3 weeks ago, I don't let is slow me down however.

But the big winner in the move to the dslr is how fast it is to get into action and the ability to photograph moving objects, wow what a difference the dlsr makes! With the fz it was about 6 seconds from turning it on to being able to take a pic. with thed70 it takes about 1 second total from on, to picture taken.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote