Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:37 AM   #1

Keeping Mrs. Bufflehead (from my previous post) company at the golf course was Mr. Merganser, an adult in non-breeding plumage. The light was constantly changing as you will see in these pictures, but it did give me an opportunity to get shots of him under different conditions. I like the last one the best.

#1 - 1/500 @ f/5.6, 420mm, ISO 1600, Av mode, -1/3 EC, cropped, noise reduction, curves, USM.

#2 (blew out the plumage on the back but I still like it because of the different color cast provided by the sunlight)- 1/400 @ f/5.6, 420mm, ISO 1600, Av mode, -1/3 EC, cropped, noise reduction, curves, USM.

And to all a goodnight!
(heh, heh - finally got some bright light looking directly into the sun! :roll
1/8000 @ f/5.6, 420mm, ISO 1600, Av mode, -1/3 EC, cropped, noise reduction, curves, USM - yes, I know, why didn't I reduce my ISO to 100 - I forgot it was set so high, but I like the result!

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:45 AM   #2

very nice geoff!

that last one is gorgeous! it doesn't look level (the ripples in the back right are angled), but the light, the ripples, the silhouette...just gorgeous!

a keeper for sure!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:45 AM   #3

I agree, the last one is awesome. Seeing those shots at ISO1600 has me
edging my credit card further out of my wallet for a 20D.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:53 AM   #4

woodmeister wrote:
Quote:
Seeing those shots at ISO1600 has me edging my credit card further out of my wallet for a 20D.
:lol:Just do it! I did, and while my pocket has a lot less green in it now, I am having fun!
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:05 PM   #5

WOW!!! beautiful shots, the light, the subject. Thanks for the information and for the photos.
Esterzosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:37 PM   #6

I really like the reflection, very well done. The first seems a bit flat to me. Like it needs a touch of contrast. Of course, that could be because its next to the second one....

The light in that second one is very nice. Very, very nice. That is the type of light that you pray for. Its a pity the head its turned like in the first one, but that is me being picky. A little over exposed on the back, but he head catches the light very well.

The third one is lovely. I am surprised that the dark noise didn't come back to bite you, since you were at 1600ISO. But it worked our very well (neatimage and reducing it helped.)

I would be very happy to have any of those pictures.

These are common mergansers, right? I was just out seeing them on the ocean (actually saw red breasted, common and hooded all at the same time.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:43 PM   #7

Hi Geoffs,

Nice pics. Looks like you are getting busy with the new toy.

How are you liking the longer reach. You will never have enough you know. I have the 500mm and am already wanting more. Don't know if the trade of in detail loss with the 1.4 would be worth the extra reach.

I really like the second one. The merganzers are such pretty birds. I have been trying to get some good take off shots of them since I got my long lens las t week. They have the best take off, they run like h^%$ for about 40 yards across the water before they get airborne.

Keep em coming!

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:33 PM   #8

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I really like the reflection, very well done. The first seems a bit flat to me. Like it needs a touch of contrast. Of course, that could be because its next to the second one....
I agree that when the two images are adjacent to each other it makes the first look dull. Standing on its own the first one shows up better. The first one was snapped when the bird was in shade.

Quote:
The light in that second one is very nice. Very, very nice. That is the type of light that you pray for. Its a pity the head its turned like in the first one, but that is me being picky. A little over exposed on the back, but he head catches the light very well.
Thanks, Eric! I scanned over my images from that day once again and found the following one. I didn't post it originally because of the concrete retaining wall in the BG, but the head is better turned in this picture:

Quote:
The third one is lovely. I am surprised that the dark noise didn't come back to bite you, since you were at 1600ISO. But it worked our very well (neatimage and reducing it helped.)
I'm surprised too. NeatImage did a good job here but there still isn't a great deal of noise in the dark areas even on the original. I haven't got the best understanding yet of which circumstances will show the noise up more than in others with the 20D.

Quote:
I would be very happy to have any of those pictures.

These are common mergansers, right? I was just out seeing them on the ocean (actually saw red breasted, common and hooded all at the same time.)
Yes, male Common Mergansers in non-breeding plumage. I'd love to be able to see all the different mergansers, especially at one time! Lucky you!