Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:15 PM   #1

Every now and then a Jay dropped from the hedge to catch a snack that had previously been stored, in this case a peanut.

Trying to remember where

Remembering

Inspecting

Follow-up

Treasure

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:16 PM   #2

Normcar, you have just got to enter this is something. Its out of this world. And you got this from the car window you say. That does it, tomorrow I am going out to the woods in my truck. But, I can get out if I need to - it was 70 degrees today here in Georgia. Nice but none of that beautiful snow.

For the ones in the hedge they are great also. To me thats a very unusual capture. Makes me feel sorry for the birds up there in that freezing weather.

My hat is off to you for today.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:07 PM   #3

Thanks Houston, and I appreciate your concern for our northern friends, they need all the help they can get right now (feeders, etc.). Sometimes good fortune comes in strange packages as I doubt that I would have gotten these close shots of the bluejay had the weather been warmer, and I certainly wouldn't have gotten the emotive play. They just didn't want to fly very much in this cold and I don't blame them. Good luck with the truck shots, it's a very comfy way to do the job and your window will serve as a nice tripod. I think the peanut this one has originates from your neck of the woods.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:39 AM   #4

What a great sequence of pictures, Norm. You've illustrated quite an interesting and beautiful story here. It also makes you wonder to what degree your narration rings true for the bird. IOW, did the jay really store that peanut ahead of time, and come back to it using bird memory, to reclaim it when it needed the food most? I tend to think it probably is that way, but I'm not sure the research really confirms that yet. What a great masters or doctoral thesis for some young ornithological student.

I'm also thrilled to see the same Blue Jays that I grew up with in New York up in your neck of the woods. I think that they are even more interesting than the Scrub Jays I've got down in Oregon.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:26 AM   #5

These bluejays were a treat for me and I could sit in my car with the heater on, just the way I like it. And that's where I'll be tomorrow as well. Hopefully they will still be around and I may get another crack at those magpie exposures.

Cheers, and thanks for the input
Old Dec 31, 2004, 5:50 AM   #6

All really good as usual. I really like the fourth one. I really like that
inquisitive look. I wonder what he is thinking?
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote