Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:03 PM   #1

Ive been trying all kinds of temptations to attract new birds into my yard. The latest (stuffing pine cones with bran, sugar and oil) seems to have worked. This morning I stepped outside to the front area of my yardcrowded with these tiny silver eyes. They were into everything from my pot plants to the bird feeder and the cones. Ive been experimenting with different settings and have found with my rebel fully zoomed with the 90-300 lens, ISO 400 F7 or F8 I get the best shots. These could be sharper if I used a tripod.

Checking out my plants

looking around for seeds

sharing another pot plant

Tried to get an in flight shot

now for the goodies

YUM

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:46 PM   #2

These aren't just reasonably sharp, Julie, they are nice and sharp. Your 90-300 lens with the DRebel seems like it's a keeper to me. No IS and you are handholding at 300mm and getting shots like this. You got some steady hands there

The second one is very good and the last one is also very good except that it looks like you were focusing on the back rather than the head of the bird - still a keeper in my book.

Congrats, Julie.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:55 AM   #3

Thanks geoffs, Im starting to think I can get away without IS, Im even starting to wonder if I may just hold off buying basically the same lens (100-300 usm)unless it comes up VERY cheap which is still a possibility, If not I think I may as well keep this lens even though it's got a crap write up and save the the money until I can get the one I really want, the 100-400 usm canon.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:35 AM   #4

I agree with Geoff, these are really nice sharp photos. With results like this,
I would hold off until you could get the lens you really want. I wish my hands
were as steady as yours!!!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:05 AM   #5

aladyforty - These are nice shots. I like #2. In #3, you should try to get lower, it will give you better shot. Flight shots are tough. You have to have the camera in right mode and even then focus tracking doesn't work most of the time unless you have pro bodies like 1dMK2.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:02 PM   #6

Great shots, I especially like the pose on the second one. Those look nice and sharp to me aladay. I'm back on my home computer (dial up) so I'm not commenting much since it takes a huge amount of time to download photos. Good luck in saving cash for that 100-400. By the way, there's a 100-300/5.6 (pre-cursor to the L lens) selling on ebay right now for a nice low price. It's supposed to be quite sharp from what I've read:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Thought you might be interested in having a look. I was actually thinking about buying it myself the price is so low.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:54 PM   #7

Thanks Bobby but that lens is available to USA only:sad:I have a bid on Aussie Ebay but it depends on if the bidding goes much higher as to weather I get it or not.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:26 PM   #8

Very often if you email the seller they will agree to ship. I did that very thing with this item and they were willing to ship out of the US. I still may buy it :lol:
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:44 AM   #9

Ok, you buy it and when Ive got the money, I will buy it from you:-)
Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:53 AM   #10

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
The second one is very good and the last one is also very good except that it looks like you were focusing on the back rather than the head of the bird -

Geoffs, this one is similar to the last but I think the focus was better, unfortunately I think what spoils it is the over exposure of the pine cone