Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:01 PM   #1

These days its practically dark by the time I get home from work but today I managed to get this one shot in before he left for the night. I know its kinda soft but its handheld and thats quite a load. The DRebel, Zigma 135-400, and the 420EX flash is pretty heavy. I've not learned how to use this flash yet. I tried shooting stationary objects before the Finch showed up using full manual and A priority and Shutter Priority and Program. Program seemed to work better so thats what I used. I wasn't planning for it to be this way but I kinda liked it.

Comments please!

ISO 400, 1/60 th, F5.6, and using flash. A little lightening in levels, sharpened some and used the USM.
Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:50 PM   #2

Nice job Houston. I personally like the slight blurring effect and the dark background behind a very colorful and active subject. Shutter priority set appropriately would have frozen the subject more but I'm not so sure that would have been an improvement over what you have here. I think it's a keeper.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:55 AM   #3

I like it, it is unusual.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:19 AM   #4

Good catch and some pretty steady hands! Personally, I kind of like having
some blur in the moving parts.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:33 AM   #5

Thanks Normcar. I was really hoping you would like it.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:41 AM   #6

Thanks Alady

I can hardly wait till I have some figs on my tree. I really liked the one of yours in the fig tree. :-)
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:49 AM   #7

Thanks Woodmeister

The truth is that it was by accident. I haven't got this flash figured out yet. There's lots of times I want to use fill flash (my by is very shady) but when I try to the shutter speed comes down to 1/60th or so. If anyone else is using the 420EX maybe I could get some tips. -- Please--

Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:16 AM   #8

You could improve a lot of things with your fill flash if you'd use a "Better Beamer"
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:56 PM   #9

SoOregon wrote:
Quote:
You could improve a lot of things with your fill flash if you'd use a "Better Beamer"

Thanks SoOregon

I've been reading a lot about that thing here lately. Guess that will have to be my next procurement. Wow, there sureare a lot of things that keep coming up that I need for this new love of mine. One at a time!!!!!!!!!!:roll:
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:51 PM   #10

Quote:
There's lots of times I want to use fill flash (my by is very shady) but when I try to the shutter speed comes down to 1/60th or so.
You will be able to get whatever shutter you want using the 420 flash as long as you are in shutter priority mode (TV) or full manual mode (M) on your camera. If you have the Rebel your maximum sync speed is 1/200th unless, on the 420, you switch to high speed sync (switch on the right with the lightning bolt). In high speed sync you can set higher shutters in TV and M modes, no problem. However, in high speed mode your flash will not be as strong as if you were in normal mode at 1/200th.

Your problem is that you are probably in program (P) mode which automatically sets both shutter and aperture, just like automatic mode. Get far away from P mode when shooting birds in flight, you will need higher shutters.

Good luck!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote