Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:41 PM   #1

A number of times the Better Beamer has come up lately so, since it's too cold and miserable to photograph birds up here I decided to provide a few samples, with and without, the beamer to show it's credibility as a bird photography tool.

I have not had a great deal of time to experiment with this tool but it's clear to me from experimentation that it focuses a better beam of light on the subject and apparently it also saves battery power.Following are a few quick sample comparisons taken at exactly the same time, one after another,with exactly the same settings. The only time between shots was taking the beamer off and putting it back on (and this essentially is one flat mirror-likesheet attached to long sidebars with velcro):

First shot without:

With Beamer

Note that the force of light is directed to subject so that definition is more pronounced. Check the screw head for a good sample of this.

Next shotwithout the Beamer; top of water bottle was focus point:

With Beamer screen attached

This last sample shows nicely how the Beamer brings out details better, like the dirty flaws in the subject below which were hidden before the Beamer took over. I won't tell you which one is which, it's pretty obvious:

More information on the Better Beamer can be gathered here. And this isn't an advertisement, it's just some information from one bird shooter to others in order to help decision making. I don't think I'll be regretting my own purchase. It's slightly difficult getting off and on the flash but not too difficult.

http://www.birdsasart.com/accs.html#BEAMER

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:10 AM   #2

I'm convinced!!! This was just the sort of thing I wanted to see!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:18 AM   #3

Thanks for posting your photos. The proof will come when you go out into the field. The BB isn't a substitute for poor light but the idea being that if you have reasonable ambient light, the BB can provide the fill light for a long telephoot shot. It has really helped my bird photography. I'm not as brave as you going into the bush when it is so cold. I'm enjoying the view of the snow and I'll wait for better bird weather .... well better bird photographer weather.
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:57 PM   #4

It saves battery power and improves recycle time because it concentrates the light. Less of it is wasted on the sides of the picture (and off the picture) and more is put on the subject. So less power is used in creating the flash. In turn, that means that there is less power drawn from the cap that holds the power and it takes less time to charge it back up to full capacity.

I've used a better beamer for awhile now. Very handy tool.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:13 AM   #5

I am waiting for mine to arrive sometime this week.

I think one has to take some precations using one when sun in out. I read some stories on the web, about BB buring holes in the flash.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:59 AM   #6

The problem goes both ways, literally. If the sun shines through the BB's lens towards the flash it can burn anything it focuses on. In my case it was my hand, but it can be your flash or whatever.

If the sun shines from behind you through the BB, I've had it melt the poly-p lens protector I have on my lens. Burnt a hole through it.

So yes, you have to be careful.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:42 PM   #7

Glad I found that out before and not after the fact.

Scary stuff.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:35 PM   #8

Man, I don't know what would be more annoying burning the flash or burning your hand. Oh wait the flash costs a bundle:-).

Funny thing about the sun and a big magnifying glass. :lol:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:39 PM   #9

Great comparason Norm. Any suggestions where to look for the B Beamer?
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:49 PM   #10

You order the Better Beamer directly fromhttp://www.birdsasart.com/accs.html#BEAMER

Or the very similar Project-A-Flash product from http://www.lepphoto.com/Project-A-Flash/index.html
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote