Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:04 PM   #1

I've posted this not because it is a great shot but because I just thought that the moment at which I caught this scrub jay was an interesting moment. He had alit on the top of the chimney of my neighbor's house just a few seconds before. I trained my camera on him and just as I snapped the shot he launched himself.

20D, 300mm f/4L IS + 1.4x, 1/3200 sec @ f/8, ISO 400, -1/3 EC, cropped, levels, usm.

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:47 PM   #2

Very cool!

Is he taking off? Strange that he hasn't kicked the wings into action yet.

REally makes a neat effect. Well captured. The color in the bird is very nice as well.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:13 PM   #3

I thought the same thing as you, zoomn, when I saw that the wings were still in tucked position. I'm trying to remember exactly what happened and I believe that he never did untuck his wings! That was because he was hopping from that position to another position about a foot higher on the chimney...
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:29 PM   #4

Not a great shot? I think it is. This is a case where I think the uniqueness of
the photo outweighs the fact that you can't count the feathers on it's side!!
Also, this shot somehow brings to mind something for an ad for an energy drink!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:59 PM   #5

Geoffs,

Where did you get that cool frame effect.

I like that.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:56 PM   #6

geoff!

it's not fair...you're learning WAAAY to fast!

great shot! i'd say it's a great shot! got something in it's mouth, and it's midair!

nice work geoff!

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:01 PM   #7

woodmeister - Thanks! It is a cool shot and you are right that not all shots have to be graded on whether or not you can see all the feather details! Maybe I ought to approach the Filbert Grower's Association with this shot... :roll:...if filberts can do this for a little bird, just imagine what it can do for you!

zoomn - This is a very straightforward framing effect in PSCS. Basically, resize your photo down to 40 pixels on each side smaller than the size you want to post your picture at. Then, do a File->New, creating a new image document that is 40 pixels larger than the resized image in both width and height. Select all of your image, copy it to the clipboard, and then paste into the new image. You now have an additional layer which has your image in it. Set a drop shadow effect on that layer, adjust its parameters to what looks good to you. Add a text layer with your signature, positioned as you like, and with the font you want showing. In the background layer, do a flood fill of the color you want as your matte color. When you have everything the way you want it, flatten the entire image, convert to sRGB, save as jpeg, and upload. See... not hard at all!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:04 PM   #8

Vito - notice the shutter speed I took this picture at! It was a bright and sunny day and I was pointing north into the sky so I was able to get a really high shutter speed. I don't think I would have been lucky enough to get this like I did if it weren't for that.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:24 PM   #9

Geez sorry I asked. My head is spinning.

It is worth the work though, really looks cool.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:08 PM   #10

holy cow! didn't even notice that!

crazy man!

btw...zoomn(and geoff :-p)...you can avoid the new document, copy, paste parts, by resizing to 40 smaller, like geoff said, and making the canvas bigger (Image/Canvas Size) by 40 pixxels on each side...

then just fill a new layer below your picture with watever bg color you want...and add the effects like geoff said...

:-D

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote