Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:08 AM   #1

Hello everyone,
A single shot taken on the ground, natural light. The sun was bathing the beauty

500mm, 1/400 sec, ISO200, F/8 w/ cable release

This was taken with another Photog who brought some excellent photos of the Great Grey Owl. We met yesterday, while Peter was on the ground to take shots of this magnificient bird, I went up to climb a large pine tree to get a closer view of it.

Very first shot when I decided to climb the tree. 500mm, handheld, F/7.1, ISO800 and 1/1000 sec. It was underexposed, had to work this one out in Photoshop a lot. No noise removal software. I use a special way of doing this.

This is one of the early one I took up there, I was 10 Meter from it. The lighting was already on the decline up there, wish the sun would still be shinning on it. So up the tree, trying to stabilize the DRebel with my Bigma, these were taken at 400mm, ISO800, F/7.1 1/500 sec. Really wish I could have increased the shutter speed. It will be for a next time :blah:

Another shot, seconds after this one on top. Think he winked at me :-)

He was looking for something on the ground it seems. 350mm, F/7.1, ISO800, 1/400 sec

This was taken at another location, Peter was feeding the little Chikadee, it was that cold and his hands were red of freezing :-P

Taken with a Sigma EX 70-200 F/2.8, ISO400, F/8, 1/640 sec.

Comments welcomed, cheers everyone !
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:49 AM   #2

What a great series of photos. Nicely done.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:51 AM   #3

Wow, such nice photos, Eric! ...and your first encounter with this guy... You must have been so excited that you could hardly stand it!

The last one of the chickadee is cute in the extreme, don't you think?

Also, I am very interested in what kind of "special technique" you use to do noise removal...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:56 AM   #4

These shots are really great. Very much appreciate seeing them.

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:40 AM   #5

Man, you took these shots from a tree with hand held Bigma!!! WOW!! Real great series.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:48 AM   #6

Real, real nice photos !! What a lucky one you are, I only see birds on the paper of the wall.....well, so big at least !!!

Nice subject, nice light. Thanks for sharing them. I like the one and the last of the Great Grey Owl, and the Chikadee is lovely (poor Peter, thanks for him too).
Esterzosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:55 AM   #7

WOW, nice images. I am surprised the bird let you get that close. Maybe it did not consider you a threatup a different tree :-)

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:15 AM   #8

From all I've read, you should start to get more Great Gray Owls. Its an eruption year and they are fanning out to the east now. The prediction is that I'll get them in Mass next month (maybe those owls are going thorough your area now?) I hope they are right, I've never seen one before.

This one looks like a first year to me, but that is only a guess from the pictures I've seen of adults.

Nicely done. I've climbed trees to get good Barred Owl shots. Helps with the angle a lot.

A great job, as always. I look forward to future posts when you find more of them.

PeterP
Great Gray Owls Seem to come in two flavors. Either completely paranoid or absolute indifferent. I know people who have seen one up in a tree off the road... and 10 minutes later it flew and landed on the road sign 10 feet from their car. It truly didn't care about them. Other have them fly away if you get 30 feet from them.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:27 AM   #9

As you know, Eric, I've already seen these but I could see them over and over and over again without complaint. Super job as usual.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:42 AM   #10

Eric, What great character those owls have. I only dream of getting shots like that. The only Owls I have seen in my area are at night as they swoop through the light coming from street lamps. That is a really nice series of photographs. How high up into the tree did you have to go?

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote