Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:22 PM   #1

I had gotten lunch at Arby's today and was waiting for a bus when this little guy came along, so I whipped out my Canon S1 IS...
(click the image to get the full-sized version from which you can get the exif data)
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:14 AM   #2

PianoPlayer - your little lunch visitor is indeed very cute, but...

...you are not going to get many people viewing this picture unless you resize it in an image editing program to something more manageable, both in resolution and filesize! Right now, the image is 1.5MB in size which means many people, especially on dial-up, will say forget it.

A good guideline is to resize down to no larger than about 600 pixels on a side and keep your filesize (jpeg is a good format to use) to 250KB or less.

He is very cute, though...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:52 AM   #3

Good shot, good detail. I agree with Geoff, it took a while for me to download
this, and I have high speed cable internet.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:56 AM   #4

About 15sec to download for me but you have to scroll all over the place to see the whole image :-)

Tough on us highly energetic lazy people :blah:

BTW: it does look like a sneaky lunch napper though.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:51 PM   #5

Ok I resized it and made the resized version clickable so you could see the full-res version and (from that pic) extract the exif if you wanted to.
In the future, what's a good way to retain all the quality and detail in a pic for posting on the web without heavily cropping it or losing the exif data?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 6:03 PM   #6

Very good, pianoplayer. What you have now is the right way to post so that you attract the most viewers to your posted images.

There is no best way to post so that you retain detail and quality present in the original photo. What you post here is never going to approach the quality of your original image (given that the original is of high quality - sometimes reducing resolution does hide softness present in an imperfect original).

My workflow involves cropping an image, if necessary, to the most pleasing composition. Once I've done that, I resize to web resolution, sharpen the image with something like USM sharpening, convert the image's colorspace to sRGB if it isn't already in that colorspace, and finally save as a jpeg with a quality setting that yields an image filesize that stays within the restrictions of the site I'm posting at. That's the best you can do. An option is to do as you've done, which is to make the posted image a link to a higher res image for those people that desire to see the higher quality image.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote