Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:00 AM   #1

Fine but overcast day so I went down to the local wharf and got these shots. All hand held ISO 400, F8.

Lazy pelican

I noticed one of these cormorants has a bit of fishing line attched to his beak, wondering if he has the hook stuck in there.

heres a couple of in flights shots

common sea gulls choose to relax on the road:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:31 AM   #2

You're learning way too fast, Julie, and making me envious not only of your ever increasing facility with your camera and lenses but also of the sun you're having down under that I can't see right now where I live!

The pelican is a fine shot. I think if you did just a tiny bit more post-processing it would look even better as it appears a bit flat, at least on my display screen. Perhaps a bit of local contrast enhancement using usm at something like 10-20/50-60/0. As it is, I am really impressed that you got the exposure nailed as well as you did to bring out all the details in the white plumage on that pelican!

It's too bad to see the cormorant with that fishing line hanging from its bill. I wouldn't be surprised if the hook was caught in its mouth but another possibility is that it swallowed a fish that had taken the hook. If the latter, it could pass through the cormorant's digestive system over time. If the former, the bird could be a goner. Once again, well exposed and the details in the black plumage shows up very well.

Your in-flight cormorant shots came out great. The fact that they are fairly slow flying birds worked in your favor there. Now, try that out on those pesky little flitty birds in your backyard!

Seagulls are such a common subject that sometimes I think you've got to differentiate your shots of them a bit to generate interest. If you could catch a shot of one of them letting loose with a large splat on top of some innocent bystander - now that would be a shot... :roll:
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:09 PM   #3

Thanks, I find myself a little hesitant to over do corrections in photoshop, I always believe less is more. My biggest problem has been getting neat image and noise-ware corrections right.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:43 PM   #4

Hey geoffs, did you ever see the shot I have of a Great Blue Heron letting loose on a jogger? Now that one is memorable. If my server was up I'd post a link....

aladyforty
I agree with geoffs, the first could use a bit more contrast. It's a good startin gplace, and you did a great job with the exposure. Not blowing those out takes effort.

The second one struck me as having the setup for an even better picture. Shift to your left and wait to see if the cormorants shift to similar poses. I'm a fan of symmetry in nature, so this might work (its more impressive the more you get to line up.)

And what can I say, I'm a big fan of flying birds. Of all kinds.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:23 PM   #5

Great job alady, that Pelican is exposed wonderfully, I only wish I could see all of him, and the cormorant flight photo really turned out nice with the blurred building in back. I usually don't like human stuff in backgrounds but for some reason this one, to me, just fits. It could be the fast expanse of water before the buildings show up. Again in these I see a definite improvement in sharpness and, shall I say, overall quality.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:29 PM   #6

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Hey geoffs, did you ever see the shot I have of a Great Blue Heron letting loose on a jogger? Now that one is memorable. If my server was up I'd post a link....
Haha - now that one I've never seen, but I'd love to take a look. I think you ought to post that one just as soon as your server is back up!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote