Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:59 AM   #1

I just don't know what it is:-)Taken today while looking for scenic shots, he was soaring like a kite. The photo does not seem to like having been converted.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:54 PM   #2

I like this photo but it seems to me to be missing one tiny little thing which I have taken the liberty to add below. Hope you don't mind:

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:29 PM   #3

thanks, how do you do that?
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:30 PM   #4

Taking a completel and absolute wild guess, I'd say its a harrier of some kind. You might want to look them up to see if you get any in Australia. I know here in the US we only have 1 (the Northern Harrier) and it puts kites to shape in its ability to soar and glide across the landscape. Truly a lovely thing to watch.

Nice picture. Something bugs me, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe its jpg compression in the background? Or maybe the wind has blown it sooth? Something just seems odd.

Either way, I like it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Just use your clone tool in Photoshop. I'm sure it works the same as my Paint Shop Pro clone brush where you copy something and put it somewhere else (as I did with the bird's shadow). It took no more than a few seconds to do. Check the help file in your Photoshop for clone tool.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 8:31 PM   #6

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just use your clone tool in Photoshop. I'm sure it works the same as my Paint Shop Pro clone brush where you copy something and put it somewhere else (as I did with the bird's shadow). It took no more than a few seconds to do. Check the help file in your Photoshop for clone tool.

I found an easy way in PS, I just opened the shot twice and cut a layer from one of the bird and put in on the other photo, reduced opacity, burned the original bird a little for effectand there it is, easier than I thought.

Thanks for the Idea Norm, i never would have thought of it:-)

Old Jan 23, 2005, 8:43 PM   #7

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Taking a completel and absolute wild guess, I'd say its a harrier of some kind. You might want to look them up to see if you get any in Australia. I know here in the US we only have 1 (the Northern Harrier) and it puts kites to shape in its ability to soar and glide across the landscape. Truly a lovely thing to watch.

Nice picture. Something bugs me, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe its jpg compression in the background? Or maybe the wind has blown it sooth? Something just seems odd.

Either way, I like it.

Eric

Eric, go to this post and look at photos 3, 5 and 6.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8

This is the area that I took the photo in, it does have a strange windswept look with crinkles in the otherwise smooth sand dunes. I cropped this piece from one of those shots. Maybe what you are seeing is that or you might be right about it being compressed, however this bit I cropped has come straight from the original and has not been compressed.

Old Jan 23, 2005, 8:49 PM   #8

By the way we have two Harriers here in the south of west aust, the spotted and the swamp harrier, this diagram show how they look from a distance, Im still trying to work out what it is I photographed

Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:54 PM   #9

It could be a combination of the wind and heat. I just have an eye for catching things that don't look right (drives me nuts some times.) There is a poster at my work where a guy is sitting on a bench. It's clear that some wacky editing was done 'cause the wall under the bench and to the right of his right leg is a different color than the wall in the rest of the picture. It just looks really wrong and I can't help but see it every time I look at it.

Two harriers? Lucky. That could be a peregrine.... we get them here too. I haven't seen one in years, but I did just take a winter rapter class and that flight shape fits. You get a goshawk? Very nice. Those are great birds. That looks too small to be a kite (but how can I really tell in that shot? Too far & no objects to compare size to.) They other telling sign is how low or high it flew and how it flapped. Did it glide along or flap a lot... and how it flapped matters too. I don't know this stuff nearly as well as I'd like too. I know that those things matter, but not what bird does what. Some day....

Either way, it's a great mood piece. Very nice capture.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 2:10 AM   #10

A bit off-topic: I like the addition of the shadow, it's artistic but I think it's a bit off position. If you check the sand dune behind, you can tell where the sun is.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote