Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:58 PM   #1

It was warm enough outside to go take a few pictures as long as I didn't stay out for long. Not much happening and I was out of practice. Anyway, I'm getting new post envy so here are a few of the best of the bad.

Lenses:top - 200/1.8with 1.4x,bottom - 300/2.8 with 1.4x; apertures:2.5 and 8; shutters: 1/1250 and 1/200; ISO:640and 800

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:34 PM   #2

Dang you, Norm! The best of your bad is the best of my best! Hehe - looks like I got a lot of catching up to do...

That nuthatch is so fine! Tiniest little bit soft in the eye area but so what, it's beautiful. And the bluejay isn't far behind either.

You're obviously feeling a bit artsy as I've not seen you post with frames around your images before. I like it.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:26 PM   #3

Quote:
You're obviously feeling a bit artsy
Appreciate the comments geoff, thanks. I'm going nuts waiting for the weather to change and I saw all the frames latelyso I decided to get creative. Here's another one I was going to use but I decided against it:

Old Jan 23, 2005, 6:58 AM   #4

Great shots as usual, Normcar. The detail you got in these shots is stunning. How close were you to these guys?
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:56 AM   #5

how did you do the frames????
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:17 AM   #6

Really great feather detail from the 300mm f2.8. Seems yougot the best of the canon's lenses. When you going to get 500 or should I say the 600mm F4?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
How close were you
Thanks for looking all. I was about 15 feet from the Nuthatch and a bit further away with the Jay. When the weather gets better and I can get out to wilder areas I think I may tote a mini-camo blind (camo material is relatively inexpensive and I know some people who can sew) in order to get as close in the wilds.
Quote:
how did you do the frames
If you are referring to the charcoal edges, it's as simple as can be, just the way I like things to be. I just copied and pasted my picture into a pure black file, set my brush edge to charcoal tip, brushed the edges, cropped, saved as JPG and posted. Not sure I like the result but it was more of an experiment than anything else.
Quote:
When you going to get 500 or should I say the 600mm F4?
Funny you should ask that. I just sold my 300/4 and am planning to possibly sell my mint 300/2.8 as well in order to fund a 500/4. I'm going out today, weather permitting, to experiment with my 300/2.8 stacked with 2x and 1.4x converters for a 1092mm F/8autofocus lens equivalent with the Mark II's 1.3x crop. Yes, it still single point autofocuses relatively quickly with the Kenko Pro300 1.4x and Canon 2x stacked as AF is retained up to F/8 on type A bodies and the Kenko Pro doesn't have that Canon nipple that prevents stacking. If results are good enough I may decide to just stick with what I've got for awhile. It seems to maintain a good degree of sharpness with tests I've done at home but the fine detail in bird feathers is quite a bit more demanding than letters on books and clothing fabric.

PS - it's strange, though, as the 200/1.8 with the same setup searches for focus. I'd have thought with 1 more stop of light that the 1.8 would have been better. Go figure, perhaps I just got a good copy of the 300/2.8 (however, the 1.8 is sharper and more contrastyin tests than the 2.8, even with a 1.4x extender attached).

Have a safe and warm Sunday (except alady, who should have a cool and breezy one)
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:32 AM   #8

Hi Norm...Car,

How could you always manage to get a closure image ?

Really wonderful.

wildlifeiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:42 PM   #9

Normcar - Fromw hat I have heard, 300 f2.8 is the fastest AF lens by canon. And it is one of the sharpest. You will get good results with 2x, not sure how the image will look with 2x along with 1.4x TC. Good thing with 500 or 600 is use can still use 2x on them and image quality is real good.

Someday I want to get the 500mm F4.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote