Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:08 PM   #11

Thanks Norm, Lady,

Yes, they are definitely "wild" dogs and like Dingos, "capable" of presenting dangers to humans, especially young children. But though they congregate in groups or "packs" for socializing,unlike wolves they rarely cooperate in hunting activities, but tend more toward solitary susbsistance feeding. Though they will eat nearly anything, and in areas shared by wolves such as in Yellowstone National Park, will feed on other's kills, they primarily feed on small rodents such as voles (large mice-like rodents), ground squirrels, squirrels, marmots, rabbits and other small game.They frequently followthe Mountain Sheep herds and will chase and attempt to bring down young lambs. If they happen upon infant elk or deer which are apart from their "nannies" they will sometimes successfully kill and eatthem but the vast majority of their fare are small rodents which are plentiful and pose no threat to their survival.

Like any wild animal, they tend to fear the unknown and in a truly wild state are quite wary of humans. In areas like Rocky Mountain National Park, there are so many tourists driving, hiking and wandering around that they have pretty much lost their fear. Part of this has come about becausetourists often feed themin direction opposition to stringentPark rules forbidding this. It actually works against the coyote even though it does afford the photographer opportunites for closer and more frequent shots which would be very difficult to achieve had these coyotes the normal fear of humans.

Just afew weeks ago, arather foolish woman was walking with her four year old child and "leading" the little girl by a scarf tied around her neck. They were within 15 feet or so of a rather large coyote when the mother tugged on the scarf the little girl fell down and the coyote immediately saw an opportunity and rushed the child.Fortunately there were numerous other tourists close by whoran in toscare off the coyote, but not before he had nipped the child. Park rangershad to shootthe coyote to have the animal tested for rabies. The coyote was only doingwhat wasinstinctive, but it all came about because people from the city tend to forget that these are not just "puppy dogs" in a Boulder, Colorado park, but are wild creatures and only actingas nature intended.

There have beenseveralcases over the years where people havebeen walking small dogs on leashes only to have coyotes snatch them right away for a tasty "snack." This has even happened right in Estes Park, Colorado city limits! Having lost all their natural fear of humans, the local coyotes have become quite bold and daring so that even more education is needed to make the public aware that we must treat these beautiful little creatures as wild animals and not think of them as simply loose "pets."

In California where civilization has encroached on many wildlife habitats, there have been more than one instance over the past twent years of coyotes killing and/or injuring children inthe suburbs. Coyotes pose no threat to a healthy adult simply because they are quite wary of anything larger than themselves which doesn't run away from them, but small children andsmall pets are fair game. We definitely need to educate the public to afford"God's Dog" the respect it deserves as a wild creature just trying to survive a changing world.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:30 AM   #12

our main problem with dingos is caused by humans feeding them so they come in close to campsites and as Im sure you have heard we had a baby taken by a dingo in 1980, not much is ever said but there are more attacks than we ever hear about

check this site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/1304459.stm

it states attacks are rare however the attack mentioned was preceded by at least 7 near misses and before the attack in 1980 there were other near misses as well. Recently (two months ago) a dingo got into a hotel room on frazer Island and tried to take a newborn baby boy but a little five year old girl stood her ground to save her baby brother, amazing child!!!

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 4:18 PM   #13

Lin; thanks for the info on the coyote and the pelt. Not sure I understood about the Flovian. Don't know what that is.

Your shots are really great. Lets see some more.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 4:38 PM   #14

Quote:
thanks for the info on the coyote and the pelt. Not sure I understood about the Flovian. Don't know what that is.

Your shots are really great. Lets see some more
Hi,

The Sigma SD9 and SD10use a sensor which was designed and manufactured by Foveon, Corp. Unlike the typical digital sensor which is two dimensional and uses a bayer filter and interpolation from adjacent photosites to determine a portion of the colors, the Foveon sensor is three dimensional and directly senses red, blue and green.

The sensor is arrangedso that 10.34 million photosites (detection pixels) are used to create 3.4 million actual display pixels with no intermediate interpolation to determine colors. The Sigma also doesn't use an antialiasing filterand with this plus the direct sensing of primary colors the result is extreme pixel level detail andvery abrupt edge roll-off. Essentially this means that true sharpness ismuch greater than with the normal digital sensor but this is sometimes a two-edged sword. Extreme sharpness can work very well for some types of photography, but it's not as easy for photos where the intent is a softer appearance such as portraits, etc.

You can visit one of my photo sites at:

http://www.lin-evans.net

where you can see other samples from a variety of digital cameras and lenses, etc..

Best regards,

Lin
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:02 PM   #15

Quote:
our main problem with dingos is caused by humans feeding them so they come in close to campsites and as Im sure you have heard we had a baby taken by a dingo in 1980, not much is ever said but there are more attacks than we ever hear about
Yes, I remember a movie with Meryl Streep which was made about that - the feeding issue has caused problems here too with some large and dangerous wildlife such as bears...
Quote:
it states attacks are rare however the attack mentioned was preceded by at least 7 near misses and before the attack in 1980 there were other near misses as well. Recently (two months ago) a dingo got into a hotel room on frazer Island and tried to take a newborn baby boy but a little five year old girl stood her ground to save her baby brother, amazing child!!!

Wow! Right in the hotel room - that one obviously had no fear - makes you wonder where the mother was though it worked out for the best and the little girl was quite brave. Of course one would never expect a Dingo in the hotel room, but it's probably best not to leave a baby with a five year old anyway....

Best regards,

Lin
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:16 PM   #16

Lin Evans wrote:
Quote:

Wow! Right in the hotel room - that one obviously had no fear - makes you wonder where the mother was though it worked out for the best and the little girl was quite brave. Of course one would never expect a Dingo in the hotel room, but it's probably best not to leave a baby with a five year old anyway....

Best regards,

Lin

Mother had just gone to bathroom, little girls yelled out "dingo" and screamed and scared the dingo off, mother saw the dingo run out as she ran back into the room. The baby was in the middle of the adult bed with sister talking to it for just a few seconds.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:41 PM   #17

Out here in the east, the coyote population is on the rise as well. Too few people understand the concept of "food size". An adult human doesn't look or act like food, but a small baby does act like food some times... and it's near that size too. They are fun to look at, but dangerous in the right/wrong situation.

I still clearly remember looking out my parents back yard and thinking "what is that dog doing sitting there.... oh, that isn't a dog". I'd heard the howling around sunset before, but I hadn't actually seen them there (their propertly leads into conservation land.) Ours out here are slightly different than this one (at least the several I've seen.) A bit skinnier and scruffier. And I believe some do hunt in packs. I've read that there is some speculation that some wolf has gotten mixed into their gene pool (I have no idea if that is even possible.)

Either way, these are wonderful shots (as usual) thanks for sharing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 6:32 PM   #18

Beautiful shots Lin. I had about as much trouble tracking them down here as in the wild LOL. Sounds like you are really liking the Sigma. Where I live the coyotes are wary of humans as its rural and they are likely to get shot. They are very bad on the young goats that a lot of people have and most now keep those big guard dogs with their goats. They do hunt in packs here as I have often heard them at night yapping and carrying on. Of course maybe they are just socializing when doing that, I really dont know. When I have seen one it has always seemed to be alone.

Quite a story about the little girl scaring off the Dingo. When I lived in Illinois in what was farm country being built up with subdivisions there was more than one case of city dogs being let out to run and getting in packs and killing a child, so its not just the wild critters to be cautious of.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote