Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:40 PM   #1

Hope you are not tired of them but just wanted to share a couple more.

I like this one because of the way the late afternoon sun is reflecting off the waves onto the body of the heron.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:02 AM   #2

Spectacular photos zoomn, and I especially like the second one and the way it's feathers curve, so much so that I took it upon myself to try to do some background blurring in order to separate it more. Hope you don't mind me posting the results. Let me know what you think and if you feel that it's too contrived. I personally like it this way because it helps to see more of that great bird subject. I also brightened it a touch.

Great shooting, as usual.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 8:40 AM   #3

Absolutely not tired of photos like these. I like both of them and I think I like the 2nd one the best. And then to me Normcar made it even better. Wonder how he does that.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:00 AM   #4

Zooomn - Nice ones!!!

Normcar - How do you do the blurring? Do you use magic wand to select the background?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:17 PM   #5

Normcar this is exactly the effect I spent an hour the other day trying to create.

I just could not get it to look right.

I have photoshop elements 2.

I can't seem to get the sequence right to make it happen correctly. I have a I tried the magic wand and then Gaussian blur but can get the bird isolated cleanly.

Any tips!

Love the blur effect what a big difference it makes by isolating the bird. Please feel free to fool around with any of my photos.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:42 PM   #6

I'm not too familiar with Elements as I use Paint Shop Pro and have for years.In any event, I use layers and masks to do this sort of isolation and blur. If you have a layering and masking program available this is how I did the above:

Create a new layer and blur the bottom layer, then make a mask of the top layer and take away the background, exposing the blurred layer and keeping the subject sharp. Zoom in and get the edges well, then lighten or contrast the background so that it matches the subject layer. Merge layers and save.

The trick is setting your brush opacity to a workable level in order to have complete control over just how much of what you wish to add or take away. As well, I focused on DOF attempting to emulate a gradual blurring out and retaining sharpness on the water at the bottom of the bird.

Thanks for letting me experiment on your great heron.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 4:36 AM   #7

Nice photos zoom. You have some really nice detail on these.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote