Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Do you do much processing on theses or are the shots pretty much as taken? The feathers are so well defined. What apeture settings did you use?
Thanks for commenting Golfer. In answer to your question it varies with each shot whether or not, or how much, processing is involved. I usually sharpen every photograph a touch because I prefer to do this over in camera sharpening. I have much more control using the computer on degrees and selectivity. If shots were taken on a foggy or overcast day then the photos will probably require a slight contrast boosting here and there as well. Some photos beg for very little and the ones that cower and scream for loads of attention are usually inherent losers doomed not to be posted anywaybecause they are not worth the extratrouble --unless very unique for one reason or other.

I'm playing with apertures between 4 and 8, depending on light. If I have enough light and shutter speed I will go for 8 and even 10 if possible in order to get the entire bird in focus. Sometimes I will focus on a faceonly or a distinct blurand that will spread my aperture out to 2.5 to 4. The above ones were F/5; ISO640;SPOT;M;400mm(200x2);1/1000

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 7:45 AM   #12

Thanks alot for the reply. I'm itching to get some good photos of birds, but still trying to figure out the equipment situation. I do have 70-200mm 2.8 lense, and have been wondering if an added TC might give me sufficient range.

Still don't have a good idea how close you were to the birds, but it's nice to know you don't have to have a super tele to get great shots.

Thanks again!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 7:37 PM   #13

Quote:
it's nice to know you don't have to have a super tele to get great shots.
You've got a nice lens. I had the IS a year back but sold it to get a camera. However, I just bought another but haven't yet received it (mine's the non IS though and a used lens; can't afford a new one). I'm not sure how an extender will perform on the zoom (I've heard differing views and opinions) but I do know that it performs nicely on a 200 prime or a 135. Some of my favorite shots have been taken with the 135 with 1.4x extender. Of course the larger telephotos will make the distance shots more accessible but there are lots of birds just waiting to be photographed between 50mm and 400. You and I will get those ones. Good luck in your quest for birds.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 8:01 PM   #14

Wannabe wrote:
Quote:
Thanks alot for the reply. I'm itching to get some good photos of birds, but still trying to figure out the equipment situation. I do have 70-200mm 2.8 lense, and have been wondering if an added TC might give me sufficient range.

Still don't have a good idea how close you were to the birds, but it's nice to know you don't have to have a super tele to get great shots.

Thanks again!

wannabe, what sort of camera are you using? Some like mine (digital rebel)are actually helpful with the magnification of the lens reach IE my 100-300 has a reach of 480mm or could be 420mmI think. Anyway your lens should get some great shots, The one thing I LOVE about digital is the ability to crop in:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote