Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:50 PM   #1

I've just received a tamron 1.4 and had to try it out before it got too dark. I'll give the settings and someone will have to tell me what they actually are when using the 1.4 tc.

DRebel, 135-400 with 1.4 tc, and full flash with no diffuser.

Resized, lev, usm, desp

#1 ISO 400, F5.6, 1/160th, 400mm

Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:56 PM   #2

Cropped some, resized, usm, desp.

#2 ISO 400, F11, 1/10th (shot before flash charged up) 400mm

Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:02 PM   #3

#3 Resized, lev, usm, desp

ISO 400, F5.6, 1/160th, 400mm
Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:03 PM   #4

:-):-):lol:Ok your 400mm lens * 1.4 TC is a 560mm * 1.6 crop of the dRebel = 896mm in 35mm equivalence.

The 1.4 TC cost you 1 stop of light so the lens at f5.6 was actually getting the light of anf8.

ISO 400, and Shutter speed 1/600 stay the same.

Viewfinder must be dim'ish :-)

Nice images!

Peter.

Houston wrote:

Quote:
I've just received a tamron 1.4 and had to try it out before it got too dark. I'll give the settings and someone will have to tell me what they actually are when using the 1.4 tc.

DRebel, 135-400 with 1.4 tc, and full flash with no diffuser.

#1 ISO 400, F5.6, 1/160th, 400mm
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:20 PM   #5

Huston, What fun, nice shots, you got the female too, way to go. I notice the red almost glows on the male. I am having trouble controling that. Did you use a flash by any chance? Do you like it that bright? [no criticism intended]

How do you like the lense? It looks very sharp.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:16 PM   #6

Hi Houston, it looks like you are getting some decent results with that combination.Congrats!

With the flash you certainly are getting no lack of color saturation. I think the middle shot is the most successful overall with good choice of crop and composition, pose, reasonable background blur, no objects restricting the subject, and very good exposure. The top one has excellent background and pose but the crop is too tight for me personally and I'm not exceptionally fond of the perch. The last one has great sharpness but the foreground is a touch overexposed for my tastes and the flash light is just a bit too prominent. That's why I think the middle one is your most successful of this group and to me personally it most successfullycompliments that wonderful bird with the bright red body.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:20 AM   #7

I pretty much agree with what Norm has said and really don't have much
more to add. However, I have found that getting detail on really bright reds
like these guys, tend to be problematic on the Drebel. It just really wants
to saturate reds. Something I have tried, and works sometimes, is to reduce
saturation on the red only until I can see some detail come out, then do
sharpening, and then increase saturation of red to where I want it. It's not
a cure all, but a lot of times it helps. Give it a shot and see what you think.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:49 AM   #8

Peter Thanksfor the info and the comments. I'm still learning so I needed that.

Golfer Yes I'm having trouble with the red cardinals. It may be a Drebel problem. I am going to use the process that Woodmeister describes. You may want to try it also. Thanks a lot for your comments.

Normcar What can I say. You tell me just what I want to here. I know that I can do better. Pressure is getting to me. I'm working 10 and 11 hrs a day, 6 days a week and its late when I finally get home and I can't wait till I get in the b.y. with my camera. Too much of a hurry never got anything right. And this red cardinal and the flash is going to take some good practice and concentration. Many thanks for your helpful comments as I really appreciate them.

Woodmeister My comments above to Normcar are for you also. I will definately try what you suggested but I'm not very good in PS yet. I know how to reduce the saturation of the whole image but I not sure how to reduce it on just an area of the bird. And then I also would not know how to re-saturate it. On another subject, have you tried the Focus-Magic thing that Lin Evans suggested I get. I downloaded it and have 10 free tries. Its not very expensive and I think I will purchase it.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:13 PM   #9

Huston, glad you did not take my question as a criticism as I don't know much about these things either. I won't give up if you won't. I know we can get a good cardinal shot, just a matter of time.

With Norm,Peter, Woodmiester and the like to help we can't go wrong either. Thanks you gusy for your help.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:38 PM   #10

IMHO: I don't think the red color is a problem with the dRebel, I suspect it is the way the feathers are reflecting the light from the direct flash.

(Not speaking from experience here, I have never tried to flash a cardinal.But I have gotten some odd color results with flash and humming birds that looked like they wereglowing a strange green color (insert Stephen King story here), way backin slide film days.)

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote