Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 7, 2005, 4:37 AM   #11

Great pics. Very good info.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:12 AM   #12

Eric-

In regard to the bald eagle that was shot: What in the world couldsomeone mistake a bald eagle for? I can't believe how some people can make all hunters look like morons. It makes me so mad because some of us work so hard to be ethical, careful, and follow the rules. I heard there was a whooping crane shot, too, in which the hunter claimed mistaken identity. I think he came forward right away, though.

All very sad.

The good news is that wecurently have way more eagle nests just in our state than there were in thewhole country 20-30 years ago. Things are so much better than they used to be in spite of these set backs.

:-)
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:14 AM   #13

I forgot to point out that in picture number two, as I was adjusting the contrast, I noticed that there were red and white "stripes" like a flag behind the eagle on the window of the building. There weren't shades on the window, and I never noticed that when we were outside taking pictures, but it is wild how it looks like a part of a flag behind her.

:lol:
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:40 PM   #14

I hadn't noticed the stripes, but not what you mention it... they are there. Weird.

As to the hunter, he clamed that he saw the shadow and heard others firing so he did to. He fully admits he was wrong for not making sure of what he was shooting at. That is the one saving grace for me. He didn't try to hide it and he is unhappy it happened.

They are sending the bird to a local indian tribe because they are one of the few places that can legally use the feathers (when collected appropriately.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 6:16 PM   #15

Fantastic shots! What a great opportunity. I love those birds, and haven't been able to get a decent shot yet. Yours will make me keep trying this year. (maybe after the big show this month I'll spot my next camera, giving me a better chance by summer). Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 7:01 PM   #16

Very nice portraits, good sharp detail!

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:47 PM   #17

Hi..very nice eagle pics ! I was referred here as I just posted some pics of eagles I took today under Nikon and "Sunny Feb. Day "

Just a sad note. Last week, more than 20 bald eagles were found dumped on a Reservation near Vancouver BC. They were complete...minus their feet ! We have a lot of baldies around here all winter, feeding on dead salmon and then live ducks etc. There are nests locally and one gets rather used to seeing them up close. I have ideas on why they would be killed, but one must be politically correct these days.

Many years ago, I worked at an injured bird sanctuary and dealt with eagles up close. Quite a sight and rather odd to feel those talons. But I prefer them still attached...and alive.

Thanks for your post.
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:47 PM   #18

Nice pictures, you were lucky to have the opportunity to get that close!

We live upstream from you in Hudson, along the St Croix river. During the winter we have been seeing groups of bald eagles fishing in the open water (the rest is frozen ya know). Last winter my wife took a picture of a group of trees on the MN side of the river with perhaps 40 or 50 eagles perched in the branches. A couple of weeks ago we took a road trip down to Wabasha and saw a group of about a dozen eagles fishing in the Mississippi. We can certainly find them, now the challenge is getting good pictures of them.
evilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:10 PM   #19

Wgirl; Those are great shots. You did a wonderful job. Looks like you got some bokeh and they turned out very sharp indeed. These may just be the best I have seen from you. Well done.

One additional point on the eagle; American Indians are exempt from the Act as the eagle has always been a part of their religious cerimonies. They are allowed to posess parts and feathers etc. Don't know if they have to live on a reservation or not.

Thank you Wgril and eric for the historical information. I learned a lot I had never heard before.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:42 PM   #20

Yes, the naturalist said that after the feathers go to the repository, they are then given to the Native Americans per an agreement. She said that once during a pow wow, an eagle feather fell off and everything went silent. Everyone stopped and the elder walked up and blessed the ground where the feather fell. She said it was one of the most intense moments she had ever seen.

Thanks for the kind words!