Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:57 PM   #1

I saw this little guy on my college campus and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of bird he is? I'm new at taking photos of birds and I thought it would be interesting if I could get the names to go with the pictures. Thanks :-)

mommy2owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:07 PM   #2

Nice shot, looks to me like a mockingbird but I've never seen one in real life so it's just a guess by color and appearance. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the photography.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:36 PM   #3

Normcar is exactly correct. That is a mockingbird. I find it interesting you don't get them up there. I've had them for years, so I always think of them as a more common sight.

Have fun with the birds. They are my favorite subject. Don't worry if you have trouble with them every now and then... they are a very hard subject to photography well. But stick to it, you'll have fun.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:51 AM   #4

I would have to differ about this being a Mockingbird. The head shape is not right, Mockingbirds do not have an eye ring,the bill is too short, and the bird is too small IMO. The Mocking bird also has distinct brown eyes with black iris.

I am from US West coast, and I do not know where you are from, but I would say this may be a Pewee, Flycatcher, Vireo, Gnat Catcher.

This is a typical Mockingbird if the attachment works:

Attached Images

dcl2q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:15 AM   #5

I'm going to have to say that it is a Mockingbird also. I also posted some pics of this same bird a while back and called it a gray vireo. Everybody this side of wherever told me it was a Mockingbird. BTW you took some very nice pics.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:35 PM   #6

Thanks guys for helping me "name that bird" and for the compliments on the photos....and I'm in Northwest Georgia by the way.
mommy2owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:48 PM   #7

You know what, I think dcl2q is right. Looking more closely that isn't exactly right for a mockingbird. That is what I get from not being careful.

My first guesses is that it isn't a Flycatcher. Looks a little too pudgy (but that isn't the best sign) and the tail is too long (at least for the flycatchers I've seen.) The tail is wrong for a Vireo to me too.

Never seen a Pewee or Gnatcatcher, so I can't comment on those.

Unfortunately I don't have my copy of Sibley's by me. I'll have to look it up later. But I think you're right... its something else.

Eric
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:57 PM   #8

Eric, weren't you ever taught in school that your first guess is your best guess (you know, for multiple choice questions on tests)?

I think Norm was absolutely correct on the Mockingbird id of this bird. No way is this bird a pewee or a blue-gray gnatcatcher. Don't let the eye color (or lack of it) fool you. That can be heavily influenced by light angle. In the last photo you can almost make out the classic Mockingbird eye pattern. The combo of tail length and posture (especially in the first photo), bill shape, plumage pattern on head, wing bars, etc, all point to Mockingbird. IMHO.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:12 AM   #9

The mockingbirds that we get here certainly do not have that eye stripe. And the tip of that beak is red! Was the mockingbird eating strawberries? (I wish I was!)

Size is hard to tell from this photo, so I throw up my hads on that one. And those wings certainly look like a mockingbird.

So this is why I'm unsure. But I gotta get to bed.

Eric

ps. I was hoping you'd comment on this thread.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:20 AM   #10

The eyestripe is a Mocker characteristic, Eric. Look it up in Sibley's. The brown-red on the end of the bill I assume to be from nothing more than sampling those berries on the bush it is on.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote