Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:56 PM   #1

I just love photographing short eared owls. Here are two shots I got at the beginning of a blizard that dumped on New England a few weeks ago.

Both were taken with the 20D & 600mm f4 off a tripod. I don't recall the photoshop stuff. Some contrast and sharping for sure. Maybe selective stuff to preserve the plumage, which is always difficult.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:38 PM   #2

Looks like you were shooting in some pretty dark conditions. Your shutter speeds couldn't have been too great and you still managed to come out of it with some really good shots, Eric.

In the first shot, is that snow/waterdrops on the lens? It's a good habitat shot but what are the structures I see in the background? They almost look like barges on a frozen river.

I love the second shot. Great expression on that owl's face. On my monitor at least, it appears that the sky bg has some noise in it. Of course, that might really be snow falling?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3

The noise is really snow falling. I didn't try to remove it 'cause I expect it would confuse the software big-time. It was snowing as much in the lower picture as the upper one. It just didn't show up as much 'cause of the background. Heck, it was snowing so much the AF would some times track the snow!

The things in the background of the first shot are logs, I believe. That place is a state park... and it's been frozen up tight for a few weeks. (In fact, I shot that long tailed duck I posted awhile back not that far away from these shots.) If the snow were less, you'd probably see duck hunting blinds, but other than that there is nothing out there (just like the owls like it. Very tundra like.)

Glad you like them.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:16 AM   #4

Great in flight shots under difficult conditions!! A friend sent me a link with
the results of that blizzard. That was some dumping of snow you got!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote