Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:01 PM   #1

Here's a medley of monkey photos from my visit to the Oregon Zoo this past Saturday.

All shots taken with the Canon 20D and 300mm f4L IS lens, ISO 800, handheld.

Pale Faced Saki - Female (1/40 second):

Pale Faced Saki - Male (1/40 second):

DeBrazza's Monkey (1/100 second):

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:57 PM   #2

very nice work man

i like the first two, because of the backgrounds...

the dof is good in all three, but i find the fence in the back of the third distracting..

just me

i love the dark greens, and nice browns, and, again, lovin' the eyes

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:19 PM   #3

Great fur detail and good expressions. I like them a lot.

The first is great, the second seems to lack a little sharpness in the face (or is it my blury eyes? I've been staring at monitors since 9am)

I wish you'd gotten the whole monkey in the 3rd, but if you had to loose a bit, that was the right way to do it. That posture is great. Will it leap? Is it posturing for another monkey? And great detail. Very nice.

I don't think I've ever seen a monkey face that flat before (1&2.) Interesting nose.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments, Vito and Eric!

Sorry about the bars in the third picture, Vito. I was already down at f4, the lens's minimum,so I couldn't make the rear bars disappear.

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Great fur detail and good expressions. I like them a lot.

The first is great, the second seems to lack a little sharpness in the face (or is it my blury eyes? I've been staring at monitors since 9am)

I wish you'd gotten the whole monkey in the 3rd, but if you had to loose a bit, that was the right way to do it. That posture is great. Will it leap? Is it posturing for another monkey? And great detail. Very nice.

I don't think I've ever seen a monkey face that flat before (1&2.) Interesting nose.

Eric
You have a sharp eye, Eric. The second shot does have a bit of motion blur throughout the entire face - 1/40 of a second and handheld does make it quite difficult. It's just enough motion blur that makes a print of this image not come out the way I'd like but still not enough to prevent a decent web presentation of the image. I wonder if FocusMagic could fix up the small amount of motion blur present - I've heard that it is very good at doing that.

The first shot prints up at 12x18" really well.

The almost bifurcated nose is really interesting in the Saki monkeys. What really attracted me to those first two was their eyes and the intensity of their stares.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:38 PM   #5

ahhhh your back, I was wondering where you had got to:-)As always, wonderful shots, love the first one.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:00 PM   #6

Thanks, Julie. I'm back for now. Next week I travel 2000 miles to visit my son and his wife for the birth of our first grandchild. I'll probably be silent for a week until I get back.

Meanwhile, here is the result of using the demo of FocusMagic on the second monkey picture. It's ability to cleanup slight motion blur conditions is nothing short of amazing. For this particular picture, there turned out to be a whopping 10 pixel motion blur to be fixed up (for the hires original):

Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:16 PM   #7

Great shots, gotta love the zoo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:09 PM   #8

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Julie. I'm back for now. Next week I travel 2000 miles to visit my son and his wife for the birth of our first grandchild. I'll probably be silent for a week until I get back.

Meanwhile, here is the result of using the demo of FocusMagic on the second monkey picture. It's ability to cleanup slight motion blur conditions is nothing short of amazing. For this particular picture, there turned out to be a whopping 10 pixel motion blur to be fixed up (for the hires original):
Quote:

Well congratulations. Having had grandkids myselfIm sure you willbe snapping away with your camera, I have hundreds of shots of my second two grandchildren as that was when I went digital, the children now associate my visits with cameras:-)and if the other grandmother tries to photograph them with her film camera they run over looking for the LCD screen on her camera and really cant understand why she does not have one:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:10 PM   #9

Yes, focusMagic is amazing. It's on my list of things to get.

A Pro friend of mine uses it to get rid of anti-alias filter blur too (which is small, but there.) It has saved a few 1/8 of a second bird shots for me (of a stationary owl.) I'm just saving up a little 'cause my partner lost her job. Then I'm getting that and a sharpening tool (don't know which yet.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:24 PM   #10

Julie - thanks for the congratulations. My camera will not be far from me at any time, I'm sure!

Eric - Speaking of anti-alias filters, have you heard about the Canon 20Da? It's a variant of the 20D in which Canon has removed the anti-alias filter. It's meant for astrophotographers. In addition, it has live preview on the lcd screen (MLU required) and also has a noise reduction capability on chip, not as a s/w dark frame subtraction. Interesting, eh? Probably not of any use for bird photography but IR photographers might also love it. Only available in Japan (at least for now).