Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:44 PM   #1

Im really disappointed in these photos. Ive been trying to get a shot of one of these Splendid fairy-wrens for ages, over a year:!:They are hard to get, I rarely see them and stopped looking. Well today when I was out walking I finally (by chance), saw this little guy with the little buddy with him. They are both the same breed. Anyway to cut a long story short, I just fired away with the camera but did not realize in my excitement that I did not have the 100-300 lens at full zoomSo these are all shot at only 100mm. I know I could have got great shots if I had taken the time and zoomed in fully. This pair disappeared so quickly that by the time I worked out the camera zoom they were gone. These are all I got.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:34 AM   #2
DBB

They're very common here in Brooklyn, so I never even bother photographing them....:-)

Maybe this is a wee bit of an outright lie....

I suspect we all have ONE bird that tempts us to use the Audebon method. He would go out, shoot the bird, take it home and stuff it and then paint it.

My particular nemisis is something we call the Kingfisher. Unlike your Fairy wren they are easy to see (from a great distance) but never let you get close.

Last summer, after years, I finally got some close-ups.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:29 PM   #3

DBB, kingfisher's are fun to try to shoot. Find a pond where people walk/jog around. That gets them used to people. Sure, you won't get that close (still) bit you'll get closer.

I like them a lot myself.

aladyforty,
I can say that I have done the same thing in the past. Drove me nuts too. I guess that is one advantage of switching to a fixed length lens.

I like this bird, though. Very nice bird to try and capture, I see why it was the subject of a quest. Keep at it, I'm sure you'll get more. Is it, by chance, breeding time for them? You might find them in the same location again trying to stake out terratory.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:41 PM   #4

Alady, real neat looking bird, lovely coloration. Have you considered the possibility that the birds know all about your quest and are toying with you? I'm sure they saw that you had not yet zoomed out full and that's why you saw them in the first place. They are playing with you just like they play with me. We are essentially at their wicked little feathered mercy. :?

Just kidding...I think.

Nice shots anyway with what you did have.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:38 PM   #5

well Im on a mission now. I know where they are and I will seek them out eventually:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:03 PM   #6

Julie, this looks like a terrific bird that will be worth the effort to stalk and get some really good pictures of. Your attempts here whet my appetite for the great pictures I know that you will eventually get of them.

Go get 'em!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:28 AM   #7

I'm with geoffs. Those birds look like they'd make some great pics. It's a shame about the zoom, but now you HAVE to go back and rectify the situation, and bring your proof back so we all can see
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote