Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:04 PM   #1

Here are samples of various gazes that I was the recipient of today while shooting birds. Mark II; 200/1.8 with 1.4xextender handheld.

This first gentleman was stealing food from the birds.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:48 PM   #2

Norm your pics just truly amaze me. The hair on the squirrel and the feathers on the birds are razor sharp and you hand hold your camera. I'm beginning to think that maybe I don't need the 100-400L IS that I was planning to get. I'm now thinking that I need a lens with a lot more light so I can get the shutter speed up. I knew the head of the cardinal wasn't good and I started not to post the House Finch. I don't think I sharpened it anymore than I did the others but it just came out that way. And yes I was kidding about the chickadee.:G BTW I was coming home from getting groceries in town today and I spotted a hawk in a tree top on the other side so I drove about 3 more miles to turn around and go back. What I should have done was stop before I gotthere and got my camera turned on and ready and my head in gear. Because while I was fumbling around trying to get me and the camera focused he got tired of waiting around for me to set up shop. On top of that my ice cream almost melted.:sad: I have a few more to process and will post them later.

Cheers

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:15 PM   #3

Quote:
I'm now thinking that I need a lens with a lot more light so I can get the shutter speed up.
I think that woodmeister and bobby have demonstrated clearly the abilities of the 100-400 lens. If you want more light you are going to have to spend a whole pile more money for anything more than the 300/4 IS or non IS. The other alternative is the 400/5.6 but it has the same light as the 100-400 on the long end. I was thinking about the 400/5.6 myself for a good walk-around lens.

You could purchase one of the sharpest and cheapestlenses in the canon L series line, the 200/2.8 and attach extenders to it (I owned one before purchasing my 200/1.8 andthe 200/2.8is a fantastic lens, either mark I or mark II, the only difference being the hood, inside they are the exact same lens). Your reach wouldn't be as much but you would have more light to work with at the 200 and 300mm ranges (2.8 and 4 respectively). This lens issimilar tomy 135/2 with both light and sharpness and works nicely even with a 2x extender. I use this combo with my 135 often as a close-up rig when shooting. I was actually using the 135/2 with 1.4x around my neck for closeups today with the 200/1.8 and2x as the long lens rig up.

The above shots were done with the 1.4x and 200mm.

You'd be well off with either choice but that lens that you are now using is also doing a good job so it certainly isn't something that needs to be worked out immediately. I'm being a bit long winded about this because the comment you made relates to a very important decision in the life of a photographer...what lens! Whatever you do buy you can sell quite readily on the forums, and you won't lose much either if you buy second hand...in fact, you might end up even making money

Thanks for the comments and don't rush into a decision on lenses. That is, unless you need your toy today and can't wait 'till tomorrow.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:37 AM   #4

Thanks again Normcar for making my day. Beautiful as usual. Cheers..thekman
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:24 AM   #5

Norm I love that first shot, I was actually surprised when it downloaded as I was expecting another bird. As for hand held shots, I do this all the time and if I ever get to upgrade from my 100-300 to a 100-400 my shots will be handheld, I have a great tripod but it rarely is ever used, I find them a pain:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:04 PM   #6

Kman, much appreciated. I'm real glad that you're getting some pleasure from my pictures.
Quote:
I have a great tripod but it rarely is ever used, I find them a pain
alady, me too, but I know I'd get sharper images if I used it. If I'm going to be in one place I'll take it along and actually use it from time to time. Even when not using it I'll sometimes set my rig on it in order to rest for a bit. However, lately I've been using my lens strap rigged around my shoulder so it can hang like a bag during walkabout(getting used to that).
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:01 PM   #7

Fun craze shots Norm. Really fun. Love your sense of humor. I think you gave Huston good advice. Just got a 100x400 on advice of eric and bobbyz and others, it's a surprising lense and I'm really enjoyng it. That said, I also have a 70x200 2.8 and it is equially great in its own right. NHL also gave some great advice on some Sigma lenses.

This forum is a really great place to get help Huston. Don't be afraid to ask, you will bet more than you barganed for. LOL
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:16 AM   #8

Norm, that squirrel shot is wonderful. Everything about it is great, down to the
little chunks of snow? dropping off of its mouth. That chickadee pose is so darned cute.
BTW, thanks for your mentioning me in your comments. I really appreciate it.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:40 PM   #9

I just wanted to second all the comments about these pictures.

I really like them all. I don't see the 3rd in that plumage often (I don't know if they just aren't here or if I don't look in the right places) but that is really nice.

Interesting backgrounds in these pictures. Do you have lots of snow still? I'm so used to getting more clutter back there and you don't have it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:12 PM   #10

Quote:
NHL also gave some great advice
NHL knows his stuff and he's a great source for lenses and such. Glad you got a bit of a chuckle out of the names, Golfer.

Woodmeister, thanks for the compliments and my pleasure in using your example as proof of what the 100-400 can do. A deserving praise and you just seem to be getting better.

Eric, thanks for dropping by and I appreciate your comments on the background. My aperture was set to 3.5 and I heavily cropped these so that's the reason for the blur.Indeed snow is still hanging around but today it's beginning to melt a bit. Hopefully it will all be gone soon; I appreciate it as a background but that's where my love ends. I'd rather be missing the background while wallowing in the springtime heat.

Cheers