Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:26 PM   #1

My wife and I spent the weekend at our favourite hide-away, a very rustic cabin next to a lake/dam, [see this morning's sunrise pic in Landscapes] which is also home to a breeding pair of African Fish-Eagle [posted a pic a few weeks ago]. On Fridayevening we took a walk to the eagles usual feeding spot, and unfortunatelyfoundhim injured [apparantly by powerlines]. We called the conservationists, they took him in and tube fed him, then hand fed him the morning after, and then shipped him about 300 miles away to a renowned raptor vet, who gave it a good prognosis fo survival, but not to fly again. Unfortunately, they contacted us yesterday to say that it had not survived [renal failure due to stavation and dehydration], so, a very sad occasion for us as we have had contact with this magnificentpair of birds for about 10 years. Anyway, hereis apictaken before theyto took him away

Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:35 PM   #2

That is sad... such a nice, interesting bird. Good picture.

Are they at all rare? Could this opening in their nesting areas be taken over next year by a new one looking for terratory? I certainly hope so.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:07 PM   #3

Eric, they're not rare, but as most [all??] birds, very territorial, and being the male that was killed, the female will go and look for a mate, which could take her away from our area cause she's likely to stay where that mate is rather than to return. Large bodies of water which accomodate these birds are scarce in our area, so she will probably have to travel a fair distance to find a mate, but I suppose that will leave the area open for another pair to one day start breeding here again. I really was hoping to get some "fly-by" shots of the eagle this weekend, you [and the likes of Normcar, geoffs, etc] have really inspired me [us here in the forum], and it really is a priviledge to have you guys setting the goalposts, to see what can be done [Hey Norm, if you read this, remember the days when you were accused of working for Canon when comparing the FZ10 and the Rebel, then your Rebel went in for calibration, andsuddenly you were pulling out GREAT shots from the FZ10, including "fly-bys"showing, yes, good equipment is necessary, but does not supercede the need for SKILL. Thanks again, it's nice to learn!!

PS Eric, I took about 20 shots all in all of the bird, very close, but I felt they would not do justice to the dignity of the bird, this one at least shows it in a semi-natural stance
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:17 PM   #4

Quote:
but I felt they would not do justice to the dignity of the bird
Extremely sad story and I somewhat suspected as much by the sub-heading, which made me very wary about seeing the photograph. Thankfully you considered the dignity of this magnificent animal. In this photo it still looks as magical as ever and I'm certainly pleased about that. It must be difficult to say goodbye to a beauty like this, especially under such tragic circumstances. This photo is something like it's last hurrah, or last challenge. Great choice.

PS - yes Jake, I remember the FZ10 days. It was a magical camera in it's own right, but, like magical eagles and all magical things, it's vanishing act was the grandest of all.

Cheers and thanks for the extremely interesting post.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote