Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:24 AM   #1

All taken at iso 100, F4 to 3.7, SS 1/125 to 1/200 with FZ20 and Raynox 1.54 teleconverter add on. Some sharpening applied to all, noise removal to some.
Attached Images

bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:24 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:25 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:25 AM   #4

Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:57 AM   #5

all nice photos, I cant get over just how bright red those cardinals are:!:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:59 AM   #6

Great pics!

I like the first one the best. The subject and background colors were made for each other, and it's a nice close looking shot. I also like the female Cardinals for some reason. To me, they have a slightly more "regal" look to them with the colors than the more popular and far more brightly colored males.

Again, nice shots.

Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:15 AM   #7

I would be interested in your suggestions, Wannabe.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:27 AM   #8

Haha, I tried to edit that out before anyone saw it after I read your post on another thread. I wasn't all that comfortable with posting it in the first place, and my better instincts were confirmed. I'll go ahead and finish putting my foot in my mouth since you caught my original post! hehe

Really, I just looked at the shutter speeds you posted and the fstop numbers and thought, from what little I know, that I'd prefer to have a little faster shutter speeds (preferably 1/500 minimum, though the 1/200 is something I'd definitely use at times)and I'd probably shoot at a little higher fstop number (say F5.6-f8-f11).

I just find that I get more quality shots with the higher shutter speeds, given that I handhold most of my shots, and I'm willing to trade a higher ISO to achieve them (within reason). The post I read from you, however, indicates that your noise levels may be a little higher than mine at similar ISOs, so maybe it's not an option.

As far as the fstop issue goes, I've just had several bird shots ruined using low fstop numbers. I still shoot them and when they turn out good, they're very good. But I first shoot at the low-middle to middle fstop range to try and ensure a subject that's completely in focus. It's always possible to add some "blur" to the background if I find it desireable in the post processing, but I really never have.

Again, I wouldn't have posted the offer of feedback had I not thought in terms of the noise levels I get at ISOs up to 800 (400 is the highest I really like to go). In the other thread, you indicated that you have more of a noise issue (I don't notice it in the shots you normally post). I also, in all honesty, really did figure I might just as likely benefit from any responses to my comments as you. I really do want to learn as much as possible.

None ofthese comments had anything to do with the photos you posted.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:14 AM   #9

These are all very good mullen, and I like your choices as regards setting up the shots, especially with the male cardinal in the coniferous branch. That bird's-eye-perspective works wonderfully on that one, reminding me of some winter postcards that I've seen (hint: cards that professional photographers are responsible for creating).
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:15 AM   #10

Bmullen, have you given thought to using neat image or noise-ware on the finished shots if you shoot at least ISO 400. This is what I do for all bird shots now. Sometimes I shoot everything from landscape through to portraits at ISO 400 knowing that neat image will repair any noise.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote