Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:34 PM   #1

First real luck finding some larger birds to photograph. The area I was shooting fromis actually a marsh, but it's still frozen over so I was able to get reasonably close. I spent about 15 minutes wishing I had a longer lense but then made due with my 70-200 plus 1.4x

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:14 PM   #2

Wowzers, if those are all nests in the trees I think you have discovered heron paradise. Nice job with the zoom lens. Don't think I've ever seen a heron with a twig in it's mouth; great habit shot.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:03 PM   #3

What a fantastic series. Looking forward to more.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:26 AM   #4

Excellent!
Apparently Herons are not as territorial about their nesting as they are about their hunting. I never would have guessed. Good job!

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:36 AM   #5

I especially like the last one in the series, though I feel the framing is a little too tight. Is the photo as shot or did you crop it later? If it's a crop would it look better if the stick the Heron was holding was entirely in the frame?

I certainly think you should return to the area at every available opportunity! We have some Herons near where I live too, though I'm not certain where they nest yet.....
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:43 AM   #6

Redundo,

The last one was cropped. I hear what your saying - I'll try a re-crop tomorrow when I have some time. I know I tried a few different approaches but this picture had some of the best detail in the eyes so that's why I ended with a tight crop. Also the lower half of the picture was pretty much ruined by an obscuring branch - completely out-of-focus so you still see the bird but detail/color of tail was ruined beyond my ability to repair.

I'm hoping the weather will stay cold and the approach frozen as I'm told the males will start their posturing in about two weeks - that should be something to see :-)

There's a couple more pictures in the gallery.

http://www.john-g.smugmug.com/gallery/427400
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:36 AM   #7

I wouldn't worry too much about the tail feathers, you could leave that part of the crop where it is. I would just try moving the crop a little to the right to include more of the branch and to give the Heron space to 'look into'. If you wanted to keep the same dimensions (width to height ratio) for the purpose of printing you could give the Heron more headroom. It may or may not work, but it should be worth trying.

I think you've found a wildlife photographers paradise where the Herons are nesting. You should definately keep going back there at all times of year. If the cold weather doesn't hold-up then perhaps a pair of waders should be your next investment in photographic equipment!

Let us know if you take any more pictures.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:11 PM   #8

OK,

Replaced the tight crop with a wider one on the last shot. Look better?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:06 AM   #9

Yeah I like that one a lot more!

Changing it from portrait to landscape does it no harm either.