Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 11, 2005, 7:07 PM   #1

Below is a burst series of a Magpie taking off from a wooded tangle. I like the last frame so I decided to post the entire event in order to put the shot into a particular environment and situation. 200/1.8 with 1.4x extender on Mark II:

BREAKOUT

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2005, 8:52 PM   #2

An amazing sequence Norm and I must agree, the last frame is awesome.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:07 PM   #3

Thanks mullen, these magpies take on a beauty when they are moving that is somewhat hidden when they are stationary. All that one focuses on is the crowish beak and their hopping about on the ground foraging for grub. In flight it's like some sort of metamorphosis to me, their lines are simply beautiful, IMO.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:51 AM   #4

Once again, "Normcar" quality. Nice to see thesequence, Norm, the last frame is certainly "stand alone" excellent, however, the sequence tells a story that is better as a whole than tha final page only.

!!!:!:!!!

On the issue of "just a magpie", it's a human failure where we can't seem to see the beauty of a creature because it is common. Ie: the doves, crows [did I say crows !!??] and all the others that come to mind, and then we'll stare in awesome wonder at some greynondescriptbland creature, perhaps even travel hundreds of miles because somebody spotted it for a few seconds in that area, justbecause it is uncommon, or maybe it doesn't belong there but lost it's way.

We have a very common antelope in the parks, the impala, and one getsmore than a few stares of disdain or disgust if you park and watch them, but they really are a magnificent species of animal, extremely beautiful and graceful, {BUT COMMON}

]] I seem to be waxing philosophical on a Saturday morning [[

Regards

Jake
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:32 PM   #5

I agree with you, Jake, and a touch of philosophy with morning tea or coffee is positive stuff. Strange that I didn't notice the beauty of the wingspan on this bird. Even in video one doesn't catch the graceful lines and dynamic contrasts of black and white feather patterns, as well as the dynamic reflection of color. Here's a photo that I think displays that reflection nicely. We just don't notice things like this in real time:

Cheers, and enjoy those common animals because if we look for long enough the common waxes unique.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 4:08 AM   #6

Some really great in flight captures Norm. Hopefully someday I'll learn how
to get in flight shots.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 4:36 AM   #7

Hey Norm, Sunday afternoon now, if I had the inspiration I wouldwax lyrical

However, that magpie [don't get them here] is one very good looking bird [which I suppose some people would say about Barbara Streisand] There is beauty in most thingsif we look with the right perspective

Regards

Jake
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:38 PM   #8

I appreciate the visit woodmeister and I'm sure that soon you'll be posting tons of flap-happy birds because with the skill that you have all it takes is motivation to that specific task, motion. I've been playing with it for over a year now but find myself being drawn lately to mood evoking photography, with light and shadow. I'll always be interested in the motion aspect, though, because I love the idea of freezing a moment in time. It's a huge plus when that moment is a particularly special moment too.

Jake, don'tcha just luv that Barb.