Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:05 AM   #11
DBB

Hi Norm

I can't blame you. Especially after my first post that it was a Bald Eagle....:-)

Well, I've never seen a Smew close up and who can belive that name? Sounds like a cute alien from Star Trek. But the pictures that I look at are SOOOOooooo cute. Unfortunately they don't show the feet, but the Bufflehead Duck has feet as large. Somewhere I have a lousy picture of one scratching it's head, and it looks like a giant pink ping pong paddle.

The Smew, BTW is some form of Merganaser, even though it has a more traditional beak.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:20 AM   #12

Are you sure Dave? I found this on the web and the colour description is different.
SmewMergus albellus[/i]
The smew is a small compact diving duck with a delicate bill. The male is white with a black mask and a black back, the female is grey with a reddish-brown head and white cheek. In flight, it shows black and white wings. It is a winter visitor in small numbers from Scandinavia and Russia. Sometimes birds move here from Holland and Denmark to escape freezing weather there. Little is known about this bird on its breeding grounds.

A different site has a pic, and again the color info says its maninly black & white: http://www.audubon.org/bird/BoA/F40_G1d.html
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:12 PM   #13
DBB

Hi Suze

I keep getting the sex's mixed up...

I wasn't sure until you posted the link. Now I am Sure. I should have written female instead of male.

This is from the link you posted:
"Bill dark greyish-blue. Iris bright red. Feet livid blue, claws dusky."

Man those feet have got to be a giveaway....

As for the eye color, the Smew is a Meerganser, who all have red eyes, but often enough with a photo you can't tell.

Dave
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:23 PM   #14

Well, I'll have to go back there in a couple of months to see if he's any bigger or not(growing into those feet My husband saw him also and thinks it was ayoungster.) I could also see if I can get some better pics. Thanks for the i.d. help Dave and Norm
Old Mar 20, 2005, 2:19 PM   #15

Hello,

Actually I still haven't joined to you wildlife photographers, but I'm reading this forum for a while. And I'll give my opinion on this bird i.d. I'm no bird expert at all, so my conclusion is based only on internet resources. But as far I know this isn't smew. My version is that this is immature Fulvous Whistling-Duck (Dendrocygna bicolor). It actually occurs somewhere in USA and Africa, but somewhere in British ornithologist union's homepage was said :

" Four, Ditchford and Stanwick Gravel Pits, Northamptonshire, 1 October 1997.
The species is commonly held in captivity and there is no reason to suppose that these birds were other than of captive origin."

So I believe there is possibility that this duck can be seen in UK either. There are some links to the photos:

http://www.mangoverde.com/birdsound/...0000002475.jpg
http://www.mangoverde.com/birdsound/...0000004661.jpg
http://www.clubchasse.com/image/imag...%20bicolor.jpg

Probably if you'll search by latin name you could find better photos, but even by these you can see the big feet, little hook on the tip of beak, and the coloring which in suze's picture is only brighter.
So this is my suggestion on it's i.d.
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 2:41 PM   #16
DBB

AHHHHHHHHH!

I think you're right....

Dave
Old Mar 20, 2005, 2:46 PM   #17

Hi,

I'm glad I could help :-)

Cheers!
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 2:57 PM   #18

I think you're right CerambyX. It sure looks like the little guy I saw.Many thanks for this!