Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:58 AM   #1

photos removed by aladyforty
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:06 AM   #2

I really enjoy seeing these guys. We don't have Honeyeaters in my neck of the woods. They seem so comical. A can't decide if they remind me of the Marx Brothers or the Three Stooges? I do like your shots of them very much.
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:16 AM   #3

Ah . I've missed these the last week or two! (It's Jerry Lewis for me smac). Looks like a serious (?) discussion going on in the last one. Fantastic shots Lady
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:53 PM   #4
Super Moderator

They really are the most comical looking birds. Fantastic.

Keep 'em coming lady.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:05 PM   #5

thanks for looking everyone, now a question.:-) F stops confuse me.:roll: I found crisper sharper shots from leaving auto selections alone and began photographing birds with F8 at 400 ISO. To get nice sharp shots would not F4 to 5 at ISO 400 be a better Idea??? I like to shoot at ISO 400 with this lens as it gets heavy and I believe that ISO setting helps me with camera shake.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:10 PM   #6

It is kind of confusing. The bigger the f number the smaller the aperture. The smaller the aperture the deeper the DOF. The trade off is that to get the deeper depths of field cost you light. That is, obviously as you close down the aperture you don't let in as much light. This is why you need to play around with both, the f-stop and the shutter speed. There are infinite combinations and they all give you a different results. Of course shutter speeds and steadiness of hand are going to also affect sharpness.

ISO of 400 is going to let in heaps more light than ISO 80 or 100 so you can get away with f8 and a faster shutter speed than you could at IOS 100. At f4 or f5 you let in more light but your DOF is a lot shallower. No problem if you have the range spot on. You will get a faster shutter speed at the f-stop as well. It all a big game of 6 of one half a dozen of another. AND the ultimate look of the finish photo. The lower f-stops will have more blur in the background.
Going by my ancient experience with 35mm and no light meters, I remember that for ASA 100 film on a sunny day. You would generally use F-8 at 125sec and then bracket up and down with shutter speeds or f-stops to make sure you got the shot. With the addition of light meters in the camera it became much easier to get the right exposure without having to bracket. And know with auto camera settings the whole nasty business can be done for you. But, where's the fun in that?
Now I think I am rambling. I hope that helped.
smac
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:52 PM   #7

What lens did you use? Most lenses have a "sweet spot" at a certain aperture. Most seem to be around f8 or so maybe??

SMAC, don't you mean f16 @ 125 with ISO 100 on a sunny day? That's the "sunny 16 rule"=f16 with shutter speed to match ISO as close as possible. Then bracket up and down from that.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:54 PM   #8

Hey, if you say so, that was 30 years ago. :lol:
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:17 PM   #9

the lens is a 100-300 canon usm, (I want a 400 lens:-))Ive shot sports at iso 400 at 4.5 and they seem sharper, especially indoor stuff such as swimming pool indoor shots. I notice that a lot of Norms shots are ISO 5 to 6 I think.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:08 PM   #10

Quote:
I notice that a lot of Norms shots are ISO 5 to 6 I think.
Hey, these guys are just sitting there. Maybe they're having a choreography meeting for the next water battle. :-) Make sure you're there to photograph it.

I'm sure you mean aperture 5 or 6 above, and you're right, I've been testing this new 400 wide open in order to check it's capability at the most open setting. From what I've experienced I think that F8 would be best if the bird is pointed towards the photographer and the entire body needs to be taken into consideration. However, most poses are sideways to a degree and one can get away with 4 to 5.6 or even less.

I've found that a good average F number in terms of sharpness is about F8 and I've also read this and heard itfrom others. At F8 I don't think one can go wrong in terms of both sharpness and focus as long as there's enough light. If not, then we start counting backwards until enough light can be gleaned, hoping that the next shot will be a sideways one or a good head shot that takes away from the inevitable blur that comes with an aperture of less than 4.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote