Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:12 PM   #1

I took the EF 400/5.6L out with Mark II and a 12mm extension tube, handheld, with the purpose of attempting to get birds in photogenic poses using available light, as the sky was blue for once. I could maintain a 200 iso on these as well as an F8 aperture, which was nice for a change. The camera was set to aperture priority for most of the shots and I usually had a fairly decent shutter result (at least more than the inverse rule allows for the 400 on a 1.3x crop factor body). I have a ton of them and these are from the first half of the first download:

Exposure set a touch lower to get this effect

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:44 PM   #2

really nice shots, Do you think ISO 200 makes much difference in the end as opposed to ISO 400??? Do you need to use noise reduction at ISO 200???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:13 AM   #3

Norm, the Redpolls are just beautiful with their color and with the sharpness that you captured but the Chickadee is special. I love that photograph. Glad to see you have some sunshine now and I know that we can expect a lot more of your expertly captured treasures soon.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:23 AM   #4

Excellent as usual normcar. We've had rain the past few days. I look forward to some blue skies. You gotta love that lens. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 9:53 PM   #5

Thanks alady, I find that at 200 I don't really need to bother with noise reduction, which is a real refreshment. However, if I'm shooting action then for the most part I have no options and I'm forced into a higher ISO. I don't think it's necessary at all to use noise reduction with the Rebel at 200 ISO but then again if one is severely sharpening the noise will arrive as well as the sharpening halos and other abnormalities. That's the important thing, I believe, about having a good sharp lens to begin with, in order to eliminate a need for sharpening as much as possible. Some cameras will sharpen better than others as well, so there are alot of factors involved as I'm sure you know.

Thanks, Houston, that chickadee is a favorite of mine because I got really lucky with the light hitting his beak and eyes, glad you are getting some pleasure from it as well.

Thanks Woody, the lens is really working out well and the more that I use it the more I want to use it. Heck, I may just sell all the other ones and make some money back. Not likely, though.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote