Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:50 PM   #1

I made another trip to Birdsong Plantation today but as you can see in the pics it was very cloudy and overcast and looked like rain would start any minute. I spotted four nests with the ladies either standing over their chicks or sitting on eggs. They were all at least 100 yards or more out into the swampy area so the quality is not that great because of being heavily cropped. I had no choice of aperture and shooting with the sky in the background was difficult for me. In one of these pics you can see one of the little chicks with mouth wide open.

Taken with Drebel and Meade ETX-90 spotting scope.

#1 ISO 400 and shutter 1/400th
Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:03 AM   #2

#2 with baby chick showing

ISO 400 and shutter 1/100th
Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:10 AM   #3

ISO 800 and shutter 1/320th
Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:59 AM   #4

Well, hazy day or not you did a great job with that scope and you brought back some wonderful images of a perfectly special time in the lifespan of a heron, infancy. All in all I think that you came away with a great prize and the photos themselves are not bad technically, especially the last one. I'd say you got some winners here, Houston, congratulations on a successful day's outing. Persistence pays off.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:08 AM   #5

Good ones here Houston, rainy/foggy weather or not, you got something there to bring back. If you look at the eye on No.1, you can see the sharpness despite the mist.

I see your exif data shows an F-stop of "0", is this because of the spotting scope [is it attached direct to the camera, no lens?]

No. 3 is pretty good considering an iso speed of 800.

As Norm says, to get the juvenile in is a bonus [most of natures small ones are pretty cute, but somehow birds seem to be quite the opposite, and egrets and herons chicks in particularare just plain UGLY.

Nice to see some results Houston !!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:37 PM   #6

Thanks Normcar and Jake for your most generous comments. If it weren't for my job I would go back next weekend. But I have to work this coming Saturday. I have a few others to post after I get them processed. Maybe some of them tonight. BTW it started raining on me coming home yesterday afternoon and didn't stop until this morning. My gauge had 5.5" in it. Some sections of town were evacuated but I'm high and dry for now. Oh, I almost forgot. Yes Jake the spotting scope is connected directly to the camera with an adapter. No lens to read the F stop.