Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:14 AM   #1

I was supposed to meet people at 2:30 for a concert... but when I heard about a wood duck that was on a nearby river I had to go. I thought "15 minutes each way and I'll have 10 minutes to walk... that might be enough." I almost missed them as when I turned around to leave I saw them coming out of the bushes just ahead of me on my side of the river.

I never knew the female wood duck had that green irridecent quality on their back. The males are just too amazing for words.

I've never been this close to a male/female pair of wood ducks, and it was worth being 15 minutes late to the concert.

Eric

Male:
Camera: 20D 600mm f4 IS + 1.4TC, f5.6 1/1000 ISO 200 -1/3EC
PhotoShop: Double raw convert and blending to preserve hilights, curves, sharpening, reduce

Female:
Camera: 20D 600mm f4 IS + 1.4TC, f5.6 1/1250 ISO 200 -2/3 EC
PhotoShop: curves, reduce, sharpen.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:13 AM   #2

Really nice shots, Ive never seen one of those bright colored ones in the first shot, is it native to the USA???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:51 AM   #3

Beautifully and skillfully done!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:26 PM   #4

Both shots are great! I think the Woodies have to be the most color-full ducks I've ever seen.

Yes alady... wood ducks are native to North America, if memory serves me correctly, they may be one of if not the only duck that is truely native to this continent.

Terry
tleonhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:41 PM   #5

Well I posted a few shots of a Mandarin Duck (Male), and it was at first mistaken for a Wood Duck and I can see why! unfortunatly the Photo I took way a bit blury. I have had the opertunity to take better Photo of these wonderfull Ducks. I really out to post a few. Perhapslatter tonight...
Michael R. Habel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:48 PM   #6

Michael,
Please do post more pictures of those ducks! I'm all for seeing more interesting birds.

tleonhar & aladyforty,
Interesting question and answer. I didn't know they were native. I'll have to go dig up one of my bird books and read more about them. I find them to be one of the most beautiful ducks so I'm always very happy when I find them.

I'm glad you all liked the shots. I am very happy with them as well.

Eric
Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:46 PM   #7

marvelous shots, especially the first one. i've gotten a couple of shots of wood ducks at a park near my home, but not that close... elusive little buggers, but absolutely beautiful creatures! the pic below was taken from about 25 yards away with a 430mm zoom, so it's not nearly as nice a shot as yours, but i like the way the duck seems so interested in his own reflection....

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:48 PM   #8

Congrats on getting yourself a Wood Duck, eric, they are indeed a very interesting looking bird, and about as colorful as it gets. You have set your camera and lens to capture this color and succeeded in a big way.

PS - Hope you enjoyed the concert :-)
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:43 AM   #9

It always amazes me how different these ducks (and many types, actually) look in different light. I was so happy when I found I caught the green on the head, and the touch of blue on the back. Worked out really well.

I just wish the hilight on the beak wasn't there. I haven't tried cloning it away... I always feel a bit, I don't know... dirty after making an alteration to the subject. The background is completely fair game, but the subject is another matter.

squirl033,
Nice shot. That head angle is really interesting. It does look like He is looking at his reflection. It looks a little soft, but I'm not sure if the picture can take more sharpening or not.

Normcar
I did enjoy the concert. She sang a mix of original work and covers, and a few of my friends performed with her.

Eric
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:22 AM   #10

Wow Eric these are beautiful and the colors are oustanding. I wouldn't worry about the little bit of highlight on the beak. I hadn't even noticed it until I read your remarks about it. To me it seems to blend in with the other white on the neck etc and sort of looks natural. Great photography to me.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote