Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:39 PM   #11

Golfer wrote:
Quote:
You really picked these off Norm. Well done. Great detail. Question: Do you shoot in RAW, and if so, RAW only or pluss JPEG?
Hi Golfer, thanks for having a look. I'm a touch lazy and usually wouldn't know what to do with a huge 8 megapixel file so I usually shoot at a 6.3 or less megapixel setting to get more bang for the buck out of my cards. I usually shoot 500 or more shots at each outing, filling up about1 to 2 gigs of space,and that wouldn't be possible for me to do if I shot in Raw format as I couldn't afford the cards and still be able to buy the other stuff I like.I've tried Raw and don't see a huge amount of difference. Indeed it allows for a better rescue of lost information but I usually toss photos in that shape anyway. It's really a matter of laziness, need for more photos, and laziness. Did I say lazy twice?
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:08 PM   #12
DBB

YES!

I liked one and two, one for the "look" and two for those wonderful talons...

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 1:15 PM   #13

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Hope the rain is letting up for you and when is that lens going to arrive?
The rain has finally stopped but lots and lots of houses along the river banks in the area were flooded out. The sun is trying to come out, not much yet, and its very windy at present. I'm still going out to the lake to practice when I get off work today. I'm hoping to have my lens by Wednesday. Btw did you ever get the blind........I'm wanting to get your remarks on the first fold up attempt. :lol:
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 9:06 PM   #14

DBB wrote:
Quote:
YES!

I liked one and two, one for the "look" and two for those wonderful talons...

dave
Thanks Dave, they are really beautiful birds and I wish I had more opportunities than just a few to capture them.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 9:08 PM   #15

Houston wrote:
Quote:
Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Hope the rain is letting up for you and when is that lens going to arrive?
The rain has finally stopped but lots and lots of houses along the river banks in the area were flooded out. The sun is trying to come out, not much yet, and its very windy at present. I'm still going out to the lake to practice when I get off work today. I'm hoping to have my lens by Wednesday. Btw did you ever get the blind........I'm wanting to get your remarks on the first fold up attempt. :lol:
I'm not back home yet from holiday so it could just be sitting there waiting for me to go nuts trying to get it down. It can't be THAT hard...can it? :?
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:04 AM   #16

This must have been an exciting encounter for you.

Looks like you were quite close.

One is very nice but I think three is the best shot. The head appears sharper to me even though he is not looking at you. He is looking into the space in the photo and that to me has a better effect, just my opinion. I really like the wing placement against the sky, looks really graceful.

Have you had a chance to try out your new Sigma. I continue to be amazed how much sharper it is in the sun over how sharp it is in light that is not the best.

Like you said to me before, in good light it is hard to beat for the money.

Looking forward to some samples.

I know what you mean about shooting Raw. I usually shoot about 300 or so every time I go out. I only develop 5 or 10 of the best shots. Not worth the time on shots where you did not get the exposure right to begin with. I have never tried RAW, don't see any need cause I am already happy with my the way my better pictures are coming out. I am sure my wife does not want me spending even MORE time on photography.

I usually leave the viewing screen on highlights and expose just to where there are none blown out. Really a fast check to make sure the exposure is good. Doing it that way the exposures are usuallyjust about right after a shot or two or way off cause I focused on the wrong thing with my spot meter/focus.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Have you had a chance to try out your new Sigma.
Thanks zoomn, yes, I was pretty close to the bird until I decided to get out of the car for a better shot. Then all I saw was the bird's behind getting smaller and smaller until it disappeared into the blue.

I haven't yet received the new lens as it's being shipped up here and I'm presently on a brief holiday. I'll be back home Monday and perhaps it will be waiting for me. I'll be posting shots in due time. I like the different look of the Sigma so I'm sure that I'll have a use for both lens types. The Sigma has a harder, richer color IMO that works really well with certain subjects like your blackbirds and Eric CAN's owls.
Quote:
I am sure my wife does not want me spending even MORE time on photography.

I suspect that you are absolutely unequivocally correct in that view.:G