Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 9, 2005, 7:54 PM   #1

I used my new usedSigma 50-500 to capture a number of images today of a Moose and Pine Siskin. I wasn't expecting to see the moose but got some nice shots of it which I will post in the future. I've decided to post the Siskin today as it left me a surprise following the posing session that I'd like to share with everyone. Hope y'all like it:

Here is a wide shot at 50mm on the Bigma of the Siskin:

Now here are some shots at between 450 and 500mm of the same bird in the same location from the same place:

Then a few muscle spasms (actually this shot was from another branch but I put it in for story effect)

BOMBS AWAY

Then the Siskin flew off the branch (who can blame it) and found another perch that was slightly cleaner:

A whole lot lighter and a whole lot brighter. Pretty good aim too.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2005, 8:24 PM   #2

These are great shots Norm, I would love to get one of those lenses, I just purchased another lens (walk about 28-105 usm) second hand, older style, nice and solid not like the newer plastic rubbish. Anyway Hubby would frown even more if I started talking about more lenses just now:-)

I like the fact that you showed the first wide view as it gives you an Idea of the area you shoot the photo in, The woods???

I like the first two shots very much, love the expression of the bird in that first one, as if he has just realized you are there and is sizing you up. The coloring is very similar to the inland thorn-bills we have here, posted one below for comparison.

My picture is gonna look rather poor next to these wonderful shots:-)If I ever win lottery, that camera and lens set up you have will be my first purchase, after all the bills of course:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:54 PM   #3

Normcar great shots.

In your hands that lens really does a great job.

Looks like you happy to have your old friend back, and you got a good one.

Great color and detail in these shots. My favorites are the third and last.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:01 PM   #4

Quote:
I like the fact that you showed the first wide view as it gives you an Idea of the area you shoot the photo in, The woods???
Yes, it's a woody area near a small city. I think I'm going to try to do more scenerio setting where I'll post a wide angle shot and then close-ups so that the viewer is able to get a better grasp of the situation. I like it when other posters do this and I've been thinking about this sort of thingquite a bit lately. The 50-500 is a good lens for this sort of thing, as is the 100-400 because they are zooms and you don't need to be unscrewing lenses in mid-stream to do it.

Thanks for posting the Thorn-bill, and indeed there seems to be a similarity in both size and head shape.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Looks like you happy to have your old friend back, and you got a good one.
Thanks zoomn, I was very happy with how things went today during my test outing. I bought a good sturdy monopod (manfrotto, only $65 Canadian which is almost a give-a-way) and the lens did all the rest. It seems to be sharper than my other one but I can't be sure as it's been too long. I just know that I can get reasonable shots wide open with this one. I stopped 2 here down to F/13 just as a test and the

photos came out unbelievably sharp. No USM was required for those at all which was nice. I don't really know if my other lens was as sharp as my workflow is different now so it's difficult to compare. In any event, I'll keep it for awhile for sure.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:52 PM   #6

Very nice Normcar. That Bigma really reaches out. I've been leaning toward the Bigma or the new Tamron 200-500. I'm really surprised how sharp the Sigma is. I think I'm leaning harder now. Thanks for sharing. your shot are always top notch. I like the idea of showing the environment also. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:56 PM   #7

Don't sell yourself short alady. I enjoy your pics. The expression on the Thornbill is great. I'm a bit in the same boat you're in...I too want a new lens and I have to explain that to my lovely wife. Keep 'em comming. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:39 PM   #8

Normcar, I like your idea of showing the wide angle shot. This bigma seems to give superb shots. I would like to rent one of these lenses but the local place only carry the canon big guns.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:02 AM   #9

I really missed the fluidity of wandering into the woods and being able to zoom in and out in a moment's notice. The primes are definitely a touch sharper but not so much so that processing can't even the playing field to a degree. I've carried the 300/2.8 around as well as the 200/1.8, both almost 7 pound lenses, and after awhile you notice the weight. It takes some of the fun out of the game for me and that's why I like the option of being able to grab the 50-500 when I feel inclined (it's only 4 pounds, a huge difference in weight to me).

I eventually plan to own the 500/4 IS and I'd also like to have the 300/4 IS because they are spectacular lenses in their own rightand they both have strong points: the 300 can focus very close for that focal range and the 500 can handle a 2x converter nicely so there is a place for both IF a person can afford to have both. If I save my pennies I will one day be able to have both. However, I will also still have the 50-500, I believe. That's how much I like the lens. Heck, I sold it and bought it again in less than 6 months.

Here'sone exampleof a yearling wildmoose that I shot today with the 50-500. I'll be posting more of this one but thought I'd show an example in this string:

Old Apr 10, 2005, 4:42 AM   #10

Great shots with the new toy Norm. That lens looks like it gives great detail and
contrast. It looks like it also gives a nice blurring of the background. It will
be interesting to see what it does high contrast background in bright light.
As for the bombs away shot, all I have to say is "Ewwww!"
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote