Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 16, 2005, 2:13 AM   #1

Here are a few shots taken of the speedy little Goldeneyes using the EF 400/5.6 on monopod with a pan and less shutter than normal in order to gain some blur.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:06 AM   #2

great shots, I like the last one walking on water.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:01 AM   #3

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
great shots, I like the last one walking on water.
Thanks Julie, these birds can be alot like your Honey Eaters when they get frisky. Here are a couple more of them in their frisky mood:

Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:13 AM   #4

GREAT shots, Norm. I always admire your work. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the last one in the first series. I like the off-kilter angle and the reflections. Excellent tracking work.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:18 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Norm,

Your stuff is of consistently excellent quality. I don't always post and say how great it is but I always take the time to look and admire your work.

Just occasionally however you come up with something that is even better than your usual: that first shot is simply stunning. Certainly worth submitting for any of the major magazines' "Wildlife photographer of the Year" competitions.

Thank you for sharing these with us.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:25 PM   #6

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
GREAT shots, Norm. I always admire your work. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the last one in the first series. I like the off-kilter angle and the reflections. Excellent tracking work.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Thanks, Tom, that's very kind of you to say. This little pond has some really wild reflections and I love taking photos when the water is so smooth.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:31 PM   #7

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Norm,

Your stuff is of consistently excellent quality. I don't always post and say how great it is but I always take the time to look and admire your work.

Just occasionally however you come up with something that is even better than your usual: that first shot is simply stunning. Certainly worth submitting for any of the major magazines' "Wildlife photographer of the Year" competitions.

Thank you for sharing these with us.
Well, peripatetic, this is the second time that you have said something extremely nice about my work, and I certainly appreciate your words, makes my day every time. When I downloaded this shot I was extremely pleased as it is one of those luck shots where everything seemed to come together nicely. However, it's also a bit off the traditional track so I'm pleased when I get confirmation from another that the merit of the photo isn't simply a figment of my own sometimes distortedimagination. Thanks again!
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:42 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Normcar,

I liked the first shot so much I downloaded it to have a look at. I did notice it could handle a levels adjustment - there was a bit of range at the top which wasn't being used.

It's all bit-twiddling until you test it on a print of course, and somewhat monitor dependent, but I think it looks good with the extra punch.

Hope you don't mind.

Regards,
Craig
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:30 PM   #9

Glad you liked the shot so much that you took the time to play with it :-)

Go ahead and play with any of my shots any time you wish. I took 'em for fun and the more fun that people have with them the better.

PS - I like your rendition too; the light areas are slightly more blown than I'd like personally but that's what it's all about, personal tastes (and monitors; someone should invent an across-the-board calibrated monitor that looks the same to everyone globally...now isn't that a dream :G)

You have free reign over my photos whenever you wish.